Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Pocket watch display case questions "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Tom Weinstock
posted
I asked this question in the WTB forum, but I think it may deserve its own thread.

Why were all the display case bezels snap on/off and not threaded?

Posts: 496 | Location: Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: March 10, 2012
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

The display case marked Illinois Watch Company on the bezels had snap bezels, this is true of Hamilton, Waltham and most Dueber as well. Dueber had some threaded and even hinged versions. For the most part the thin, inexpensively made "sample" cases were intended for point-of-sale demonstration use only.

Some will try to "carry" these but there is considerable risk involved, for example if the movement-side crystal shatters you have a very involved clean-up problem and perhaps some serious damage. With so many gold and gold-filled cases being scrapped these are a great alternative to display your collection.

Properly used they can be very worthwhile.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
I would think that it was simple economics. There seems to be a lot less metal in display cases compared to standard cases. In order to be threaded more material would be required which would then add the extra cost of the metal and the cost of the threading in manufacture. Since there was, I assume, no intention to market them to the public the added cost of threading would not be justified.

Interesting to see some of the prices they go for these days though.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
If you consider the Dueber Hampden display cases as an example of the display cases evolution you will see the original D-H display cases seem to go from a plain nickle case body but with hinged bezels to a nickle case body with snap on bezels and of course Mr. Duebers ultimate money saving innovation, no bail on display cases. Further the metal seems to be a bit thinner on the latter cases. This is not to say that variations do not exist. I have some D-H display cases with brass or gold platting, an early case with a private label movement that has a bail, a case with a hinged front and snap back and I seem to recall one lightly threaded 18s case. John Dueber was not one to waste a penny and his display cases reflect the idea that they are to be used for display only.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009