Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois RR King "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Going through more watches to sell I am coming across a few interesting pieces. Was this one actually considered a RR watch for the time frame. Looks to be 15 jewel and someone recased it in a open face case. Runs well although it is dirty and needs a bath.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
Movement

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
posted
Very nice with 350 produced in the 65-S grade. Question is, what does the "S" stand for?. I was always under the assumption that it meant "Special", but the book lumps the production of 65-S and 65 together like there is no difference. I would at least think that if something was special about the movement it would have a little more value.

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
I dont know Ray maybe one of the illinois experts will tune in. I would like to see this watch cleaned up I bet it would look a lot different, then put it in a nice hunter case.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This was one of the first 50 18s RR Kings made by Illinois. It was produced in 1892. Up to a total of 600 of the 5140 total grade 65 movements included RR Kings but some of the individual production runs are reported as "mixed" (with other named watches in that run too.) The "Special for Railway service" signed dial and Railroad King engraved movement are most worthy of re-casing in an appropriate gold filled case of that period. You have a rare winner.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks for the info Dave Well if interested I will be posting it on Ebay soon. I do not take the time to do anything to my watches. Got to move them out make room for more, to many to sell. It does get hard sometimes as ones like this I would like to see fixed up but I cant afford to get attatched to all of them with hungry kids.

posted
Rob-

I know the feeling. I moved some very good watches this winter that I would have just as soon kept, but with the wife going to grad school and us living just on my pay check week to week, some sacrifices had to be made! luckily she got a TA position at the school this semester so that has helped a lot! still don't get to keep too many but at least we can order in a pizza now or something and not worry about it.

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009