• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Too fast "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hey Guys/Gals, I know this is the pocket watch part,and my question is about a wristwatch,but after all they pretty much work the same,and this is where the experts seem to hang out.

I am working on a friend's Russian wristwatch. He bought it not running and I said I would look at it for him (big mistake).

I took it apart,cleaned it,oiled it and when I put it back together it runs great. Only about 1 hour fast in 24 hours. The balance action is excellent. The hairspring is not caught on the wrong coil. I have ran it through my demagnetizer. I am out of ideas.

The balance wheel is solid,there are no balance screws on the balance wheel,nor any holes to put any. Anyone have any thoughts as to what might be wrong? I don't know if it ever kept good time,or who or when it might have been worked on in the past. Thanks

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
It is due to the Lower Gravity caused by Global warming over the USA, while Chernobyl caused a mass migration away from the place these were made in Roosha causing a serious duality and imbalance in the secret mechanism which needs to be treated very carefully with horse liniment in teensy tiniest quantities until you can get it to my Rooshian Watchmaker Vladimir who may replace the movement with a $1.98 Battery unit that "workas moooch betta!"

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Maybe a piece of lint or something on the hairspring? Check it real close. Did you dip the hairspring to clean it ?, sometimes it can pick up something that throws it off. I have one that's running the same way and I still haven't figured it out so let us know what you find.

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
Hey Dave, Your solution won't work,because it ain't worth $1.98,much less postage back to Russia.

Ray, The hairspring is I think the problem,but I have looked it over,in and out of the watch and can't find anything wrong with it. It is clean,and all the coils look uniform. Main problem is,I don't know if this watch ever kept good time. If I figure it out I'll let you know.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
IHC Member 1338
posted
Did you check the desk for loose shims?
Probably 15-20 of them fell out taking it apart.

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
posted
Hey Tom, Funny you should mention that. I never saw a watch with shims under the balance cock,but this one has two of them,and yes I put both of them back in. Thin metal shims that look like they came with the watch originally. Easy,cheap,fast way to set end play of the staff?

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Cecil, Is it too heavy to use as a fishing weight? Those Rooskies are never on time anyway.

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
Cecil...On a serious note, how about taking the balance cock with balance attached and rigging it on a tapered pin thru the screw hole so the balance is suspended. Then you need to rig a glass crystal such that the tip of the staff just touches the glass. Set the balance in motion (vibrate) and count one of the arms as it returns. You should get 75 in 30 seconds. If way off you positively have found the problem.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
If the "Nolfe Vibration test" count is close to 75, add another shim. . . . and don't forget the Horse liniment!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007