Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois watch "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
During a recent conversation with Lindell, he spoke of an Illinois watch in his collection that may be of interest to us. He said there were only 300 made. I would be interested in learning more about his watch as well as viewing it. What do you say Lindell? Confused Roll Eyes

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
posted
Stephanie: The fact that a watch is rare does not make it any different from a lot of other watches. I own an Illinois grade 184, 19j hunting model. Meggers' book says it is one of 68 made. So what? It looks just like any other 3 finger bridge Getty model. Also, the value of the watch reflects the lack of differences between the various Getty models.

Jerry Freedman

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
posted
Jerry -

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "lack of differences" among the Getty models?

Between the jeweling extremes (11 to 25), range of finishes (gilt to elaborate gold-inlaid damaskeens), and the tremendous number of private-label varieties (some very different and collectible), I would have to disagree with your statement as I understand it.

Even if you are referring only to the numbered grades (rather than named grades or private labels) I would still point out that grades such as the 177, 178, 179, and 181 are quite collectible and do not come cheaply.

Fred

p.s. What grade or model of watch were you referring to Stephanie? I can think of a few at around 300 production that would are very interesting to see, and a few at or near this production that are not much to look at.

posted
Fred: What this comes down to, is a collecting style. If I have a nice 179, how many 21 jewel Getty models do I need. I collect for the movements. I don't care how many private labels or damascening patterns are out there. I don't want them all. To each his own.

Jerry Freedman

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
posted
Thank you Jerry.

When I read your first post (with its mention of "value") I thought it was meant to express some general consensus regarding the Illinois Getty model among the collecting community. As this I felt that it was overstated and incorrect.

But as I understand the statement now to be a reflection of your own personal collecting tastes, I understand and respect your sentiment though I do not share it. The Illinois Getty model has been and still is an area of focus for myself as a collector, but outside of this and my several other areas of main focus I feel much the same way as you. Give me one superb 17J 5th pinion "Ruby Jewel" Aurora, and I will probably never feel the urge to own any of this company's other factory-marked models. I am not decrying anyone else's interest in pursuing these ... just saying that I do not have much interest in collecting here in depth, much as you do not in the Illinois Getty model.

And of course it is for the best that we don't all collect the same thing! That would ruin things pretty quickly.

Fred

p.s. I collect for the movements too, but do have a soft spot for the double-sunk fancy dials in the Getty model. Wink

Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Jerry F.
Lindell's watch is a 163 Type II E.

I'm sure we will be in for a treat! Wouldn't imagine Lindell settles for anything less than great! Eek Roll Eyes

Stephanie O'Neil

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Thanks Stephanie,

Below you'll find the one I was telling you about. Illinois Bunn Special 163 "Type II Elinvar" of which about 320 were produced. The interesting thing about number 5421606 it is a bit lower than we usually see reported. This is not an easy one to find and any thoughts or opinions on it would be appreciated.

Bunn Special "Type II Elinvar" number 5421606 has it all...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
that baby is crisp.....

how is it cased?