Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

America Case? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Anyone know of this case?, it's GF, and as per picture stamped "America" only. Has a great second dust shield arrangement inside also.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Also, I have this great dial, in the sunlight the gold dots and silve leaf sparkle, the blue looks deep color, but I cant seem to catch it on my camera, I have had it in the sunlight, at all angles, in shade, etc any ideas how to catch it at its best?. Ilove the bee and flower in the center the back is pocerlin covered marked 125

posted
a scan thru Ehrhardt's "Tradesmarks" book came up with nothing....... sorry..

posted
I have owned many of these cases.. with that mark... almost all were very very thin gold filled, equivelent to a 5 year case...

Of course yours could be different...

The dial however is AWESOME! Nice pics!

Posts: 764 | Location: Saint Petersburg, Florida USA | Registered: June 26, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Thanks Terry, Jeff,

The gold seems to be thin. The case is very well made. It turning out to be a challange getting a decent picutres of the dial, if you thinkit looks good in the picture in hand is 100% better, there are tiny gold dots all around the numbers that catch the light, the whole thing nearly shimmers as you turn it, and is hairline free also!, the case, movement seem to go together, so maybe all original, (movement is a Elgin 17J Adj S18)

Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Hi Chris,
Very pretty dial. Did you say the dial fits 18s Elgin movement or is the dial a separate entity?

Does anyone know what the number 125 on back represents?

Stephanie O'Neil

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi, Steph,

The dial is from a Elgin S18 17J Adj and this HC, should all look a great example once I have finished cleaning it.

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Tried to catch it in the sunlight but didnt turn out well either

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
I was talking to Frank and he said that Elgin would commission Swiss manufacturers for limited run decorative dials.

posted
Kurtis Meyers' book United States Horological Trademark Index page 126. America was used by Fahys on watch cases.

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002