Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Questions from a newbie to watches "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bruce Cunha
posted
Hello

Received some pocket watches from my inlaws and started researching them (see other posts here and on European page). This looks like a very interesting hobby. Wondering if the group could provide some basic questions.

What books on watch collecting would you recommend to start with?

I would believe like most hobbies, it is best to try and collect the best examples for the price. That is, by as much quality as you can. So what is considered as good way to start collecting?

Posts: 83 | Location: Central Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: December 26, 2008
Picture of James H. Miller
posted
hi Bruce,
nice to have you with us.there a lot of books out there that are very good there is one we all use here that you can not do without.i do not know if your a member if not its only 12 bucks a year to join and we have a sweet deal going to join and get this book.our you can get it somewhere else if you please it is called,
the complete price guide to watches
this book is a must for collectors.
if you need more help i our anyone here will be happy to help you member or not.
regards james

Posts: 279 | Location: Wheatridge, Colorado in the USA | Registered: January 20, 2008
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Bruce,

As James pointed out, IHC185™ offers membership for as low as $12.00 annually.

Membership includes "Avoiding the Pitfalls of On-Line Trading" our Buy and Sell Trading Marts and Auctions, Private Conversations areas, access to all the discounted offers we make available and more.

Or you can pay dues and purchase the new 2009 Complete Guide to Watches for a $39.95 offer.

Here is a link:

PAY DUES, GET THE 2009 SHUGART WATCH GUIDE

Debbie

Smile

Dr. Deborah L. Irvine
IHC Administrative Assistant
Membership and Marts Coordinator

Contact eMail: ihc185@roadrunner.com

Smile

Posts: 5328 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Hello again, Bruce....

I believe I saw & replied to your post in the 'European' Forum recently....

There are many & I do mean MANYexpert ladies and gentlemen here on IHC185 that will help you in any way they possibly can. I have yet to see our memberhip stumped by anyone's question relating to horology.

While it is good that you have found the club and can surf through some of the forums, it is not like being a member where you can experience the full spectrum of the club and it's membership. When you think about it, the membership fee is $12.00 a year, that's only 3 penny's a day....WoW! Eek

The advice that James & Debbie gave was sound advice and the 2009 edition of the "Complete Price Guide To Watches" is now or soon will be available through our club and the price, again, is the best price you will find anywhere....

Finally, I'm not sure there is an "answer" to your last question;

"So what is considered as good way to start collecting?"

That has to be totally relevant to ones own feelings and pocketbook.... you start with what you feel good about and can afford and go from there....You will be 'hooked' real soon if your not already.... Big Grin

Think it over and I'll say, "WELCOME ABOARD, THE 185 SPECIAL...." We're going places....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Hi Bruce, I hope you have joined us by the time you read this post. My advice to you on; "So what is considered as good way to start collecting?"

#1. Join our group.

#2. When you are looking at watchs you are interested in buying, ASK first and Shoot Later!

ALL OF US have made enough collector "wins" Cool and "losses" Mad to help you win MORE, and lose LESS in that endeavor.

You will never "miss a good deal" if you know before making it how "good" it really is.

Welcome and try us you will like it!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
A very impressive display David....

Which one is mine.... Big Grin

(just a little inside joke, folks....)

Regards,
Jerry

Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Bruce, Welcome to the board. I hope you consider joining IHC185. I recently did and it has been the best watch investment I have made. I am relatively new to collecting and have met so many friendly and knowledgable people that will take the time to answer your questions and concerns about anything in the horological field. I started with my grandmother's Movado wristwatch that had to be serviced, was fascinated by the small movement with all the "little gears" and have gradually moved to pocket watches with an emphasis on early American key winds. " The Complete Guide to Watches" is a reference book must. And now is the best time to acquire the book and join IHC185. To start your collection, IMHO, I would look through the book at all the different manufacturers and watch types. Something will attract you and you can then do research on that. Go to watch fairs or auctions, etc. and look at watches up close and personal. Learn the basics of a movement. You will be better prepared, then, to make your initial purchases. Over time, you will make some great buys and maybe some not-so-great buys, but each is a learning experience. Learning about and collecting watches has been a real joy for me and I hope it will be for you, too.

Mary Ann

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
Picture of Bruce Cunha
posted
Thanks all. This is one of the most friendly web sites I have been on. I say one of, because my primary hobby is MG cars. Our international web has a very similar feeling. Very friendly folks with nothing but great advise.

My membership went in yesterday and I already heard back from Dr. Irvine. Can't wait to read that impressive book.

I also noted on another post that there are classes offered in basics of working on watches. Is there a place to go to find or sign up for these? One listed was in Michigan and that is one state over. Could be very educational and fun.

On top of learning about watches,I might learn something useful for my MG hobby. The speedometer and tachometer in my 1950 MG are somewhat like clocks, multiple gears mesh to drive the needle and also things like to odometer. Mine is the last of the MG's to have a chronometric movement. In the next year they went to a magnetic system.

Posts: 83 | Location: Central Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: December 26, 2008
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Bruce and Mary,

Welcome aboard, glad to have you as well as Mary joining our little family here. But be warned, you may find yourself throwing the tarp over the MG and clearing out a corner of a room to set up a table and becoming involved in pocket watches. You'll be collecting books on them, spending hours on the computer researching them and not to mention the time you will be spending here enjoying your self. Anyhow, you both have fun here....that is what this hobby and this site will do for you.

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Welcome Bruce and Mary!

My field of expertise is very, very narrow. Others here at IHC185 have extremely broad and extensive knowledge of both watches and clocks. All you need to do is post pictures of practically any timepiece along with questions you may have and good answers will be forthcoming. I'm rather new here myself but from my experience, IHC185 members contribute generously to form a terrific forum focused on history, service, value and of course, romance for the beautiful little time machines that were made to perform well....and even some that weren't!

Again, welcome.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Welcome Bruce...I have a 1950 Packard so I know what you mean about your MG cars. The great things about watches (my preference) is you can work on them in a small space, can have a lot of them in a small space, winter seems to go faster, lots of great people in the hobby, no big, heavy, greasy parts to deal with, and on and on. (Did I mention it's easier to "hide" your latest watch acquisition than it is to hide a car?) Smile

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Nice Packard, Roger....

I share a love for early auto as well....I no longer have it but I did own a 1947 Chevy Cabrolet until a few years back....I sold it....was a tough thing to do.

Regards,
Jerry

Picture of Bruce Cunha
posted
Thanks all. Roger. Very nice Packard. You have a good point. It may be a lot easier to convince my significant other to spends hundreds of dollars to rebuild a watch vs. spending thousands of dollars to rebuild a motor. (I do know that some of you probably spend thousands on watches)

This is my favorite picture of my 1950. This was at my daughters wedding.

http://family.webshots.com/photo/1425157301036619046JDuhoM

This is my shop.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1208153422036619046xkdyfc

This is my regular summer car.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1459393844036619046QlzYHN