Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham 1857 let down "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
I started to take apart a Waltham mdl 1857 kw/ks.
Figured out the pined dial, got the dust ring off, yes this old bugger still has a dust ring.
I am having a problem letting down the main spring. I have the long click spring off but worried about taking any thing else off before letting it down.
It appears I need a third hand to go any further.
Any help appreciated!

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
posted
I just looked at an 1857 kw that I am starting to restore,and the mainspring was wound up. I put a winding key on the mainspring arbor,to keep it from freewheeling,turned it in the direction that winds it to relieve the pressure on the gear,and lifted up on the small pin on the click gear to release the gear,and let it down slowly with the key. It takes a little finess to do it without the third hand,but you can do it.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Cecil,
Thanks for the guidence. I kind of knew what to do, just needed some assurance I was doing it right. I figured asking questions instead of plunging ahead was the better choice.
I see I will have to get a bench key for these Waltham key wind movements. Letting a wind up key spin between your fingers is awkard to say the least.

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Ed,

I find that putting the key into a pin vice/clamp gives you a instant good size handle to slowly let it slip under control, my trick for the click is to hold the movement with the thumb and third finger then use a pegwood between the first and second to hold the click clear while letting down.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Chris,
Thanks for the tip, pin vice, good idea.
I know you can take these mdl 57's apart with your eyes closed Wink