• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Trying to identify my late father's watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello, having attended a local watch and clock show recently - my first - I was inclined to retrieve my late father's pocket watch from the drawer it has resided in for many years. Unfortunately I have no knowledge at all about vintage watches and so I'm hoping to find out when it was made and other information about the make. I did find, online, some information about the company which was Ball.

Inside, the movement says Ball Watch Co. Cleveland, Ohio; 19 Jewel Adjusted; Double Roller; and, the serial number is B404542. The case (inside) says Ball Model; Wadsworth Quality; 14K Gold Filled; with a serial number in a rounded V pattern 7814220.

Would you be able to point me to where I can find more information about this watch?

Posts: 5 | Location: Calgary, Alberta in Canada | Registered: June 12, 2011
posted
Hi Ken
Welcome to this board.
Your watch appears to be a Ball Illinois 12 size, likely made around 1930. A good grade, great timepiece.
I am sure others will chime in and offer further and more info on this watch.
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
Picture of David A. Vasarab
posted
Hello Ken,
Thanks for sharing your watch info.
Can you post a photo of the movement? Much more can be gained with that.
Welcome aboard!

Posts: 76 | Location: Parma, Northern Ohio USA | Registered: January 02, 2006
posted
Hello David, I hope the attached photo helps (it's difficult to photograph the shiny insides with a poor digital camera).

posted
Welcome, Ken. Smile

I re-sized your pics to fit the screen.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
posted
I've been able to discover some information about my watch from members of the *****. It seems the watch is an Illinois grade 417 (size 12), made for Ball between late 1920s and mid-1930s.

This was Great Depression era - a period I discuss often in my part-time job at Calgary's Heritage Park (Canada's largest living history village).

posted
Ken,
Here is a pic of my Ball Illinois, it is just a few numbers from yours being B405627.

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
posted
Bill, have you been able to pin down a year for your watch? I understand that these are "grade 417." Is that just a model type or does it represent something else? Ken

IHC Life Member
posted
Ken-
According to the "Blue Book" (American Pocket Watches, Volume 2, by Meggers and Ehrhardt)Grade 417 was assigned specifically to those Model 3 watches made for Ball. The movements were finished and cased by Ball, and it appears that 8,000 were made between 1927 and 1935.
Welcome to IHC 185!

Bob

Posts: 218 | Location: Oak Harbor, Washington in the USA | Registered: May 21, 2009
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Ken:

Here Is a Ball advertising chart from 1927 it shows your watch on the right-hand side.

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Some more of the chart given out to watchmakers to help explain to customers the damage that happens to balance staffs, and jewel settings

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Ball's referrral to "Bumping Watchs" is fascinating

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Here is the bottom of the chart. Ken where do work at Heritage Park? I worked there as a part-time fireman on the steam locomotives between 1997 and 2000. I also used to set up a display of railway pocket watches and clocks at Railway Days between 1988 and 2002.

Larry

posted
Larry, I work in Gasoline Alley but a couple of years ago worked in the Car Shop. Did you work in Graphics at CPR?

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Ken:

No I didn't work in Graphics at the CPR, I started out as a tinsmith apprentice in the CPR's Ogden locomotive repair shop, and worked for 23 years as a locomotive engineer.

Larry

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
A Beautiful Watch for sure! I love the hands too, I don't remember seeing them before. The movement design is really nice.

Can anyone tell me if that is gold on the jewels?

Very Nice Watch.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Sheila:

It is good to hear from you, it has been a long time. There were four designs of these 12 size Ball Illinois dress models, all were cased in white gold filled cases I believe, although some might of been available in solid gold. One of the more desirable ones has a secometer, this feature eliminated the secondhand and a round rotating disc that displayed the seconds rotated around in a window where the secondhand would usually be, I will find a picture and post it. Hamilton also made a 12 size watch with this type of secondhand replacement.

Larry

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Hello Sheila and welcome back....long time no hear.... Wink

I do believe those are gold jewel settings, certainly not positive but my guess would, YES....

Hope you are doing well and will be posting more....

Best Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Here is a photo of my Hamilton 912 with the secometer dial that I mentioned.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
The movement.