• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Trying to identify a watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I am new to the world of watches and am the proud recipienet of wonderful looking pocekt watch and know nothing about it.

All I can tell is the following:
Made by the Hampden Watch Co., John Hancock 21 Jewel workings, Keystone Watch case J Boss # 9519874. There is an engraving on the inside of the back bezel 11-18-57 A1268. Any help indentifying this would be great.

Thanks,
Kim

Posts: 3 | Location: Waterford, Connecticut in the USA | Registered: April 06, 2008
12-Size Expert
Picture of Robert Schussel
posted
Kim
It would be helpful if you could provide the serial number on the movement.

bob

Posts: 621 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: July 10, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Kim, What Robert is saying is to help you research your watch, we need the Movement serial number. For example, here is a Movement picture of a similar Hampden that is on my "ready line" for restoratin. The plates may be almost the same, but not as high Jeweled as yours

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
In a "closer up" of the movement where the serial number is, I marked the number with white arrows. You may need a lense to read it, but that is what we to need.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
I think I found it. The number I was able to get is 1382965. Does that help?

Posts: 3 | Location: Waterford, Connecticut in the USA | Registered: April 06, 2008
12-Size Expert
posted
Kim
I need to check another source tonight but it seems your watch is 18 size Open Faced Lever set 21j .The serial number suggests it was produced between 1898 and 1902.

Bob

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Your Serial number closes the loop for the records on file that I have. This production record for John Hancock model 18 size, 21 Jewel Adjusted (RR Grade) runs from 1382077 through 1382648. Your 1382965 should be near the end of that particular 1,000 piece run in the 1899 - 1900 turn of the century. Your movement should look sort of like this one

12-Size Expert
posted
Your 18 size John Hncock was approved for Rail road service-- somewhere between 7,000 and 8,000 serial numbers were reserved for this grade.

An ad from 1917 shows the price for a 18 size John Hancock movement to be $33.20,only the Special Railway and New Railway grades were more expensive.

Bob

posted
Very interesting! Great to know a little more about the watch. Thank you for your help.