• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Watch Terminology Question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
While looking at some pocket watches for sale recently, I saw some described as "biscuits".

"ELGIN BISCUIT WATCH SILVEROID CASE"
I have lived in the South for most of my life and I am familiar with biscuits of many varieties, but I haven't heard that term in connection with pocket watches.

Is this a generic term for a pocket watch, or a particular size or style?

Please pardon my ignorance.

Posts: 1 | Location: Alabama in the USA | Registered: November 08, 2011
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Hello Benjamin and welcome aboard!

What the seller may be referring to is usually called a "swing-out" case. When those cases are opened-up the overall look is not unlike the appearance of opening a dinner roll or biscuit. Here is a topic where Lindell shows pictures and explains the design and rationale behind swing-out cases.

Click for: Swing-Out Case Topic

See if that is of help to you,

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5225 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
I always thought 18s full plate watches were called "biscuits" because they are big and thick, about the size of a biscuit.

Posts: 149 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: September 23, 2009
IHC Member 1614
posted
My grandmother who's father worked for CCC railroad called them "turnips". Which I believe meant any large 18 size watch. I would think biscuit would be the same, just a regional name.

Bill

Posts: 160 | Location: Northeast Ohio in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
In Northern Kentucky, my inlaws referred to them as 'bull killers', reference to the slaughter house practice back at the turn of the century of killing livestock with hammers before processing the meat.

They said those watches were so big and heavy, you could drop one down in a sock and substitute it for the hammer if you had to, hence the moniker 'bull killer'.

The term 'bisqcuit' size was quite literal in description...they were the same size as a thick, home made scratch biscuit.

The most common description term I've found since living in the South has been 'turnip' watch.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
I've heard Dr. Debbie's explanation before and like Mark I've also heard big 18 size watches described as "turnip watches" and "pocket potatoes" as well.

I just got a Columbus Time King in a 4-oz sterling case that is definitely in the "turnip" or "potato" category, and also resembles a split-open biscuit when I open up the swing ring.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
Here in Sweden, we call all pocket watches from about size 16 and up for "turnips". I wrote "about 16 size", because most watches used here were of Swiss origin in about that size. And of course we use the Swedish word "rova".

Regards, Krister

Posts: 375 | Location: Backaryd, Sweden | Registered: April 19, 2009
posted
I have a couple of 18 size watches in these huge silveroid swing-out or regular type cases that have the bullet proof crystals (flat 4-6mm thick) that in times of need could be used as a defensive weapon. I used to avoid 18 size watches but now gladly collect the full or 3/4 plate models when a nice one shows up. I have heard them referred to as biscuit cases so I just figured they were referring to the size.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
I just paid too much for.....er I mean bought a Waltham 845 in an Alaska case. It weighs 8oz. and is 61.5 mm across the case body.

As my father use to say, "Well that sure takes the biscuit".

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011