• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hallmark "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have an Elgin 162 in a foreign gold case. I am trying to identify the case. The maker's initials are in an oblong cameo with the corners cut. The initials are LD. The cuvette bears the the name Guy & Cie Au Havre (Le Havre?),which I assume to be the seller. Also what appears to be the name of the owner: L (J?) C Barr. What I assume to be the hallmark under a 10X loupe appears to be a winged animal. It is too tiny to photograph. It is not Swiss or French. I can't find The goldmark for Belgium. Any one have any ideas?

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Jerry,

I have a good hallmark book for European watch cases, but I'm kind of at a loss without a picture to go by. I'm having trouble picturing what you mean by an "oblong cameo" for one thing. Wink

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
Picture of Stephen L. Russell
posted
Egg shaped?

Is the animal a Griffin?

Posts: 849 | Location: Victoria, British Columbia Canada | Registered: December 05, 2003
posted
Ed: Maybe if you can look at page 89 of Phil Priestly's book you will what I mean by cameo. Mine would be a 2. The cameo is the indentation that the initials are in. I guess some might call it a cartouche.

Stephen: It might be a griffin! It is very tiny, and even with a 10X loupe I can't see it very well. I am going to take it to a friend with a microscope and see if that works. It all most looks like it is only the top half of a winged creature.

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Jerry,
This hallmark has been on my mind and I was wondering if you can tell me the name of Phil Priestly's book. I must have missed this one.
I did just order a huge book that has European hallmarks in it, so I will check it out when it gets here.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
L.C. BARR
HOMESTEADER, JUDGE OF
PHELPS COUNTY, NE

In this issue (page 8), we are including a historical map of Phelps County, Nebraska sketched by Roger Barr's grandfather Clinton Barr. It was his way of recording the early history of his parents, Lawrence C. and Harriet Barr.

Clinton Barr was born in 1871 in Princeton, Illinois, so he was young when they arrived in Nebraska. He told me that he was a skinner on the last organized Buffalo hunt on the Northern Herd, and he had vivid memories of the ragged and hungry members of various Indian tribes that passed through the homestead. My Father, Howard, who donated map along with other memorabilia was born Hastings, NE, where his father, Clinton, was Superintendent of schools.
Roger M. Barr

This is just a piece of the link about this man, who could or could not be him.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~nephelps/phfall00.html

Sheila

posted
Belgium Hallmarks
Finland
Ireland
France
Austria
Portugal
Spain
UK
Sweeden

Look down the page and Click the one you want.

http://www.waarborg.nl/bu_tekens/index.html

Sheila

posted
Sheila: Priestley's book is supplement #24. It is titled Watchcase Makers of England. It is a must for collectors of English watches. Even if you don't care about English watches, it is a very good source of information. Thanks for your help.

Jerry Freedman

posted
Sheila: Correction! Priestley's book is supplement #20, issued in 1994. I think it can still be had at the museum store. I looked at the mark under higher magnification. I would describe as an animal (lion?) in a sphinx like posture: lying with front feet extended, and it appears to be winged. I can't find a mark like that for any European country.

posted
Jerry,
I'm sure we could identify it quite easily for you if you could show a close up picture of the hallmarks. Could you do that ??

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
The gift shop says that the book is supplement is # 15. Thanks for the information, ordering it soon.

Sheila

posted
Hi Jerry,
Thank you for letting me know about the number. I'm going to order it next week, but I thought I would let everyone know that the number is #20 as you mentioned, and not the others, in case they wanted to order it too.
Thank you for the information.

I got a new book today "Clock & Watch Trademark Index of European Origin" and it's great.

I am still looking for your trademark, I know I have seen it before! Just wish I knew where!

I'm going to check this book and see if it's there.

Sure wish we had a picture, did you ever see it under the microscope? Let me know what you saw if you did.

Sheila