• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Smith 15 jewel Pocket Watch. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi folks. Latest addition, purchased at the Detling, Kent UK antiques fair on Sunday. Solid silver size 16 (19 Ligne) 15 jewel pocket watch made in Cheltenham, England by Smith in the 1940s. All items of watch hallmarked with Lion Passant (.925 silver)......£20.00.
I have rebuilt the watch, and fitted a new mainspring and she is running a good as when new. Awarded to F.E Johnson in 1944.
I thought it was quite extravagant that ICI would have purchased such a watch during the war.......

Posts: 189 | Location: Kent in the United Kingdom | Registered: May 27, 2010
posted
another one

posted
One more.....

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Beautifully restored. Lacking mention of Smith's industries in the Price guide, we generally regard Smiths as dollar type watches, making this (and the WWII aircraft instrument panel clocks) out of our understanding. A nice piece of finish work for that movement. Looks only slightly used.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Thanks for your very kind comments David. I just thought it would be something a little different from over the Atlantic in dear old Blighty!

IHC Member 1110
posted
Nice watch!Is that Smith Co. the same one that made Speedometers and tachometers? I thought the English watchmaking industry was pretty much gone by that time.Thanks for posting it...Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
A very nice token of appreciation for 25 years of service!

Posts: 301 | Location: Ogallala, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: August 27, 2005
posted
Hi Ted. Yes, the same company that made speedo's etc. According to my book: "Smiths Watches" (ISBN 978-1-904661-09-2) the company made these 15 jewel pocket watches up to 1953 and they continued production of high jewel wrist watches up to the late 1960s.
Yes, Joe, a nice token of appreciation unlike mine. I recently retired from BT (British Telecom) after 32 years service and I never even received a goodbye card. Sign of the times I suppose!!