Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Thomas Jefferson's view on watches "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
On March 17, 1826 a day after he wrote his will he wrote a codical disposing of items of personal property.
"His books, with few exceptions, were to become part of the university library. His gold-mounted walking staff would go to James Madison. His silver watch would become Jeff Randolph's (his grandson) Jefferson also requested that a gold watch be given to each of his grandchildren "who have not already received one from me." It had been Jefferson's practice to give the girls gold watches when they turned sixteen, the boys when they turned twenty-one. The bequest meant that five new gold watches - no small expense - would have to be purchased."
In 1826 I would imagine the watches would have to have been European. I would also venture they were engraved with initials or "From Grandpa". Can you imagine owning one of them!

In the begining of the book he is leaving Washington and returning to Virginia. One of the things he does before leaving is to send his watch to be "cleaned by a clockmaker at Thirteenth and F Streets."

Great book, if you get a chance- "Twilight at Monticello" the final years of Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008