Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Commemorative "Significant Date" watches "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I have shared some recent correspondence with one of our members who has some significant historical periods they wished to commemorate with some Pocket watches.

The two periods that were significant were;
A. When this person started an early job in the Northwest, and
B. WWII, Pearl, and the passing of FDR.

For the first period, I cleaned up an incredibly nice "basic" 7 Jewel Elgin from a Northwest area Ranch Estate that was obviously carried for at least 2 generations and remains in near perfect condition.

For the second date, I cleaned up and restored a near mint Waltham 16A 17J 5 Adj. watch that was commonly used as a Deck Watch and other important Military activities in WWII. These 16a types were remarkebly robust and efficient designs essential for wartime use.

The third watch pictured is a remarkably nice Hampden North American Railway watch that same person sent me for some cleanup. I hope they can find a good hunter case for it.

I have to say that while most of my watch work is for my own collection, doing these special meaning watches was especially rewarding for me, and (I hope) the new keeper of them.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Great job Dave, as I have stated before you have a special talent especially when you are working in an atmosphere where compassion is desireable.

Keep up the super work.... Wink

All the Best,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Additionally, Dave, Where can I find those small clear acrylic watch stands that you are using in these photos? Confused I can't seem to find them...

Regards & Merry Christmas

Jerry

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Jerry,

These are on ebay, I did a search for "watch display stands". Also, maybe check out his store.

Steve

Watch display stands

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Thanks Steve,

I'll check it out....

I just went to this guy's ebay store and I'll have to buy 90 to 100 of them....How many do you want. I'll have 89 or so left over, hahaha Big Grin

Maybe I'll just sell them here to any of the members that need them....

Thanks for the information.

Merry Christmas

Jerry

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Jerry,

Here he has a Buy-it-now for 15 of them for $6.00. The add says they are for sharks teeth (I think the teeth look just fine displayed in the sharks mouth) but they look like the same units to me. You could always ask him.

Steve

15 Display stands

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I use these in my timing area and also have the larger Acrylics which come in 3 sizes, even large enough for a Waltahm 8-day, and are supplied by someone in Northern California whose information escapes me right now, but I will keep digging.

Of course there are the Wood stand kits that I have offered here before.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Merry Christmas Dave,

I found some on ebay and the guy is from the Bay area up North. Probably who you were refering to.

I bought enough to put some up for sale here on 185, if anyone is interested.... I'll do it in another string though. I hope we can keep this string going for awhile because it is a good one and I would like to see some other watches that would be appropriate for this topic.

Commemorative "Significant Date" watches

All the Best,
Jerry

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Hey David & Steve,

The watch stands that you both turned me on to arrived in today's mail.
Since I do not need 100 of the things, I will list them for sale at a special price under "(New) Horological Items for Sale or Trade".
Thanks for the info....

Regards, & HAPPY NEW YEAR....
Jerry

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
David,
I enjoy your posts! You have the nack of association with all the pw's you post about. It could be a significant date, a person or an association with a person (common or other wise.)
You give your watches an ambiance!

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
My "personal commemorative" watch is a very fine Waltham 17 Jewel 16a with August 26, 1945, M.L. Wold engraved on the back along with a Hawaiian scene.

Clearly M.L. Wold had this done to celebrate withdrawal from active wartime duty in the Pacific, and more clearly (to me) is that August 26, 1945 was my 5th birthday celebrated about 2 weeks before I started 1st Grade where I was summarily thrown out of school for reading David Copperfield during my first day "ABC" class! (I got bored during the war and the equally bored local librarian lady started teaching me to read when I was 3).

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Along these lines I have an especially nice 48 Hr Motor Barrel 21 Jewel Bunn that is "Presented by Employees of the Moberly Division" 4-2-31 to "CBD", who must have had some influence on the expansion of Norfolk and Western RR as follows today;

"Norfolk & Western Moberly Division
The Moberly Division of the Norfolk & Western Railway runs the width of Missouri, from Hannibal on the Mississippi River west to Kansas City. There are also two lines that extend into Iowa. The division is divided into seven districts, with four of them connected at Moberly, Missouri. The "St. Louis District District" runs between St. Louis and Moberly. The "Kansas City District" starts and Moberly and runs west to Kansas City. At Kelly on the Kansas City District, the "Stanberry District" branches off toward Stanberry, where the line continues as the Council Bluffs District to Council Bluffs, just east of Omaha. The Moulton District runs from Moberly north (timetable west) to Mounton, Iowa, start of the Des Moines District and junction with the Ottumwa Branch to Ottumwa, Iowa. The Hannibal District starts at Bridge, Missouri, on the Mississippi River (western end of the Springfield District of the Decatur Division) and runs west to Moberly."

To that end I think this is a significant date watch;

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The most memorable of my collection of these type watches is this "Lifesaver" Waltham model 08 delivered through Bailey Banks and Biddle a fine Jeweler in the Philadelphia area to Bower Chemical Mfg Co. who presented it to Peter A. Urbany for his "presence of mind and quick action to save the life of a fellow employee on May 03, 1916"

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The actual inscription "closeup"

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
David

If your interested I found Peter A. Urbany living in Philly in 1930, he is listed as an electrician at a chemical factory. He was married to Elizabeth & had a daughter.

For the WWII draft he listed he was born on 07/09/1890 in Philly & worked at the Henry Bower Chemical Mfg. Co which was located at 2815 Gray's Ferry Ave., Philly. He lived at 5210 Osage, Philly

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Found a little more;

He was the son of Peter Urbany that was born in Belgium about 1848, his mother was Mary Ann who was bornin Ireland in July 1860. Your Peter had a sister Katie born Oct 1887, brother Frances born Feb 1882 & a brother John born Jan 1893. All the children were born in Pa.

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Nice watches Dave ,,here is one i like a series 10 howard in top condition with original box and papers.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
great movements.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Sammie

That is one nice watch.

Found some info on David Stoelting if you are interested;
1930 Ohio Census Springfield Township
David Stoelting is listed as 63 married to Kathryn 61 & a daughter. Both David & wife were born in Ohio & both their parents were from Germany. He is shown as a freight agent for the Electric Railway.

I might could find more if you are interested.

Tom