• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Patent Pinion part 2 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
With Tom Seymour's kind help, I obtained a copy of Craig Risch's article. Having read the article a new conundrum arises.

• Burt's pinion design was awarded a patent in 1864. It was exclusively Elgin's.
  • Fogg's pinion design was awarded a patent in 1865. It was exclusively Waltham's.
  • Elgin initiated a patent infringement suit against Waltham. Date?
  • Moseley' pinion design was awarded a patent in 1870. It was exclusively Elgin's.

According to Risch's reading of Charles S. Crossman's article in the Jeweler's Circular, 1885-1887 "... the case was quickly and amicably settled." Both Jerry Treiman and Tom McIntyre have 'fleshed-out' the nature of the suit's settlement and its consequences during the next 50 +/- years. If Elgin used Moseley's design after the suit's settlement it would be both a more expensive implemention and a technological step backwards. It would seem that Moseley's design was in use much earlier than 1870 and patented as an afterthought to strengthen Elgin's design claims.

So, the questions which arise in my mind are when was the patent infringement suit initiated (20 years after Fogg's Patent(?)), how is Moseley's patent involved and does my 1886 Elgin contain a "Patent Pinion" of Moseley's design?

Posts: 148 | Location: Maryland in the U.S.A. | Registered: May 25, 2004