WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Horological Discussions, Questions and Answers  Hop To Forums  Pocket Watch Discussions    How can I find serial number lookup for Hamilton, Illinois & Waltham
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

How can I find serial number lookup for Hamilton, Illinois & Waltham "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
While visiting the Elgin website, I discovered "Serial Number Lookup". Eek I was able to gain valuable information on my Elgin pocketwatches. Cool Bravo to whoever is responsible for this great feature on their site! Smile

I'd like to know if there is a "serial number lookup" on any websites for Hamilton, Illinois & Waltham manufactures? Confused

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Stephanie,

All the advice above is excellent. The On-Line work continues. Until the time when we are able to have fully interactive data-bases for each of the major watch companies... and that is coming however slowly... you either buy the books, or do exactly what you've been doing.

Simply ask your question right here! Many of us have the various reference books on hand. Harold Visser has the Howard Records. Not only will we work hard to find the answer, we'll do our best to add a few insights and perhaps even a picture or two.

So for Elgins and Walthams the On-Line Serial Number Lookups exist. That and a lot of other data is accessible in down in our Chapter 185 "Technical Library and Site Links" area. For all the rest including...

Ball and Company, Hamilton, Hampton, E. Howard, Illinois and South-Bend Watch Companies we'll do all we can for you right here. Ask your question including all the information you have. There's a lot we can do for you and every one else reading this! We're always here and we're happy to help.

Stay Tuned, Stay Involved!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Elgin Watch Collector
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Stephanie O'Neil:
I do have Shugart 2002 Guidebook, but Elgin site gives much more info. And, who is more accurate, Shugart Guidebook or Elgin site as there was some discrepancy in actual dates a watch was born. Confused

I believe that the dates listed on my Elgin watch website are generally more accurate than the ones listed by Shugart's Complete Watches book. However, I don't believe either sets of dates can be trusted that much and can be easily off by a year or two. In the cases of high grade watches, or the first production of a new grade, the dates can be off by several years or even a decade.

I actually rant about this subject a fair amount on my website. Some of the relavent web pages are:
Accuracy of the Estimates of When Watches Were Made
Technical Discussions Of The Serial Number Classification
Raw Production Year Data

The Elgin Watch Collectors Website

Posts: 38 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska USA | Registered: November 22, 2002