Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Rounding up/ topping tool "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Hello, I have been browsing ebay for tools and other sundries and ran across a listing for a rounding up and topping set. I wonder if someone would kindly enlighten me about this tool, as to what is it used for?, how does one use it,etc. Thanks. Gary.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
I've seen tham but never used them. From what I understand, they were used to make certain that the train gears meshed properly.

Until the advent of the H-992B and other similar models, watches did not have 100% parts interchangeabiity.

That's all I know.

Hopefully, someone here knows all about them and exactly how they worked. It ought to make for an interesting thread.

Posts: 986 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: June 19, 2005
posted
Wheel cutting usually left the teeth less than perfectly shaped and less than smooth. The rounding up tool finished the tooth the right shape and finished it smooth. The cutters were more of a file, the shape of the tooth.

It was also used when a wheel or teeth had become distorted. After reflattening the wheel or straightening the teeth, the teeth would be finished with a rounding up tool.

Some of these tool were works of art in themselves and very collectable. If one is collecting such a tool for use, it is important to make sure it has a full complement of cutters.

Modern cutters and wheel cutting setups are smooth and rigid enough to make round up tools unnesessary.

Don

Posts: 173 | Location: Columbia, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: July 13, 2004