Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Another Elgin masterpiece! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Roger Stephens offered this Jewelled Motor Barrel Elgin B. W. Raymond to our membership for auction recently. Noting that the Sterling Silver Case with a Solid Gold Locomotive insert was itself worth my bid, I won it!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Roger noted that it ran for only a few minutes and the dial had repairs, so with an NOS Elgin FacTory #2542 Mainspring and NOS Elgin SS Montgomery Dial,it looked better and runs for about 36 hours on a single wind . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Followed by a good Cleanup, Poising, Lube, and Regulation it ran RR (within 18000 +/-2 all positions) accurate! That is easy with this because it IS a true Motor Barrel fitted and finished to 23J Father Time/Veritas Standards!

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
To Wrap it up, I did a little restoration on the Case which IS worth my original "winning bid". This goes into my "Hard Core" collection! THANK YOU Roger Stephens!
HINT: You guys gotta watch our auctions more closely.

IHC Member 1357
posted
David,I am honored that this watch will be in your collection.I knew that you would bring out the best in it.I bought it fo 50.00[tax,title and license]so it seems we made good deals all way around! Regards Roger

Posts: 4093 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Congrats David, a 19-jewel RR watch with a jeweled barrel is one of my favorite movements.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 1016
posted
David, today I picked up a 19J BWR # 22712127 that needs a mainspring. After checking the Elgin Database I figured a 2542 mainspring is correct. You just verified that I believe. Is this the correct MS for a grade 455? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Mike, the 2542 spring is for the Elgin Steel Motor Barrel design. Some later 19J Elgins had the extra two jewels as Caps on the escape wheel and those were powered by a brass "Going Barrel" which uses a "T" end spring. I will check yours tomorrow in my Elgin Master Parts books at the shop. If you need one, I have both types and will send you one for a $10.00 donation to the IHC185 support fund.

IHC Member 1016
posted
Thanks David, I do not have one and would be happy to do the donation. Do please check and we will set it up. Thanks so much.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007