Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

All Original Watham Riverside 12s "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
A friend of mine brought me a watch he inherited from his great grandfather. It is a 12 size OF 19J Waltham Riverside in 14K presentation case. When I got it, the watch was in poor condition - cracked crystal, rusted hands, wrong minute hand, spotted dial, and not running.

Some of you watchmakers may have this experience. Folks know you know about old watches and bring them to you to learn more about them or perhaps fix them. In many instances, when my friends bring me watches that they inherited and want fixed, they are typically not of high quality, and I tell them it isn't worth fixing. I tell them to just keep it for sentimental reasons. However, this watch had a beautiful high grade movement with nice damaskeening and a gold center wheel, GJS, etc and a 14K case, so I took it on.

I'm happy to report the watch has NOS H/M/S hands and a new glass crystal (see pictures). Unfortunately, the dial still has spots and I don't have one like this to replace it with.

Anyone have a dial like this or any idea on how to pretty it up? Or is is better to just leave the original dial with the spots?

Another issue: the watch only wants to run laying down. Any ideas on why? Does it just need a cleaning or could it be something more serious?

Also, any idea how many of these were made or the approximate value? The price guide does not list the 19J OF Riverside with a 14K gold case.

Thanks,

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Movement

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Case Markings

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Presentation to my friend's Great Grandfather for 25 yrs of faithful service. Those were the days!

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Riversides are great, high-grade movements but most of them are not scarce. There were over 48,000 12-size 19j open-face Riversides and over 18,000 hunters. This does not count the earlier 17-jewel versions. As for the running problem - it could be simple or serious. When it runs and stops in the upright position do you hear anything scraping? Sometimes a balance with a short or broken pivot will "run" laying down but not in other positions.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
John,
I picked up a 12 size, 19 jewel 14K Riverside in its original wooden box at the National. It is nice and the first one I have ever owned. Smile

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
It sounds nice. What is the serial number?

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Jerry,
SN 14122035

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003