Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

"Case Switching" on a 992... "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi,

i bought an 992 Hamilton 16 size in a salesman case which i want to change. What i have to think on when i want to buy a 16 size case for that watch (like dial size or something like that)?

Since i have to order it from ebay usa and have to sent it to germany i want to be sure.

Andre

Posts: 40 | Location: Rietberg in Germany | Registered: November 20, 2004
posted
Andre, The salesman's cases are very desirable to have on a watch. Here in the US, if a nice watch, like your 992, is in a glassback case, it makes it more desirable. If the salesman's case is in nice shape, you may want to keep it there. Just a thought.

If you are set on switching, you must consider the period for the watch and case. The watch SN will give you the timeframe for the watch. A 992 will fit most all 16S cases. As styles changed, so did the style of cases. For a 992 from 1900 to about 1920, you would need one with a high pendant. After 1920, the pendants became shorter. Around 1930, the case was styled with the crown right at the rim of the case. Also, keep in mind that around 1926, Hamilton began to factory case watches. You will find many posts on this MB describing these cases.

Tom

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Andre,

Tom provided a good general overview, an excellent starting point.

In order to offer suggestions on what case styles might be available we need the serial number from your movement. As Tom indicated the case styles changed a lot during the many years in which the 992 was produced. For example, what would be appropriate for a 1903 vintage 992 would be entirely inappropriate for a 1931 model. We'll need to know if yours is pendant or lever-set. Whether or not you plan to use the watch daily, occasionally or just have it to enjoy in your collection is also a major factor.

Once we know what you have and how you plan to use it we may be able help you further. Quite possibly we can even help supply a case or choice of cases you would be happy with.

Lindell

Here is the typical Hamilton 992 Serial Number Location...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Hello,

the problem with the salesman case is that i wear that watch only one week and then switch to my other watches. So lets say six weeks later i wear it again and it has to be set. The watch is lever set. The salesman case has a "pop in/on" front which is very tight and difficult to take off. So it only is a matter of time until i slip when opening the case and ruin the dial. Therefore i want to switch the case.

The serial number is 2484362.

Thanks for the answers.

Andre

Posts: 40 | Location: Rietberg in Germany | Registered: November 20, 2004
posted
This is why I gave up on display cases. I would only use one on a watch that has a great looking movement and I did not plan on carrying it as a time piece. It would work well for a pendant set watch.

Your serial number suggests an late 992 movement. A factory Hamilton case or any third party short pendant case would be appropriate.

Best would be a Hamilton #2, #3,#4,#5,#6,#7. The #2 is a traditional favorite and probably more easily located. The crossbar ( #1) could probably still be found when your watch was produced. Hamilton was still selling movements to be cased by the jeweler at this time (correct me if I am wrong), so any period third party case would do.

Charlie

posted
watch is too early for model 6, 7, and possibly model 5.

time frame makes it either a crossbar,2,3(checkerboard),4, and maybe a 5 ... for factory cases....

it is possible it was sold as movement only.... and a 'shorter' pendant case would work.... only discovering the box or the hang tag would verify......

Movement will date to about 27 or so....

I understand about the issue with the glass back......

one has to understand the watch is now or never will be 'original'.....

you will see cases for sale, many are factory cases from watches broken apart for profit.....