Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Sangamo 16's dial and hands?? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello,

I just picked up this 1902 Sangamo 16 pocketwatch from my local watchmaker. The movement and case are in excellent condition unfortunately, the same can not be said about the dial and hands. Can anyone provide some direction on what the correct dial and hands should be? A posted example would be great. Thank you in advance for your help. Serial #1567584

Posts: 357 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: April 05, 2008
posted
Here a picture of the movement for reference.

Posts: 357 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: April 05, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hello Carlos,

Your watch number 1567584 is a 16-size, Lever-Set, Open-Face, 21-Jewel, Model 5 (named a "Getty Model" after its designer) Sangamo Grade from 1901 production. Your movement, case screws, dial, and two of three hands are entirely correct. The minute hand will need to be replaced and it is obtainable.

The dial on your watch is a correct original design, it can be cleaned and is worth saving. You will notice the dial shown on the right below on number 1567969 a 23-Jewel Sangamo matches yours. That image could be a reference in order to help locate the minute hand you need to complete your watch.

About your case, it is from approximately thirty years later than the movement. Most likely replacement for a worn out Gold-Filled case or possibly a Solid-Gold case scrapped in the Depression. To have it correct you would need a period correct case or just accept it as part of its probable history.

Lindell

On the right below, an identical dial to the one Carlos found...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
What Lindell said. Also, about the minute hand, it looks like you need a "medium" or "light" whip hand to match the hour hand. I'm no expert w/Illinois's so if that's wrong please feel free to correct me. I also don't recall if the Getty movements had different hand hole sizes from the typical Bunn style movement.

Also, just going by memory, I don't recall seeing many of these.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
posted
Thank you for your input. I'm having it serviced and when complete I will post a new photo.