• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Page 1 2 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Introducing myself...a first class fumble fingered guy! "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi, name is Roger and this is my first post. I only signed up a couple of days ago, proudly gazing at my one significant watch just acquired. It's a lovely display case version of the Hamilton 992-E. Bought online, couldn't be happier, ran and kept perfect time for the 5 days or so I had it safely in hand.

THEN, early yesterday morning I reached for it on a nitestand and fumbled the ball...watch dropped 2 feet to a hardwood floor and stopped running. NO other visible damage to my newbie eyes, but it has been suggested I might have broken the very thin post the balance wheel rides on. Balance wheel doesn't move now.

Sooooo, I acquired a fine watch, admired it for several days and accidentally broke it...heck, the credit card bill has not even come in yet!!!

I am now searching for a competent watchmaker who could undo my handiwork, any suggestions are very welcome. Glad to be here, just kind of feeling like an ***** for my stupid move.

Posts: 26 | Location: Indiana in the USA | Registered: March 19, 2012
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Rodger,

Welcome to the club, I would be pleased to take a look at it, check my website out.

Chris

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
I would like to greet you and congradulate you on Finding this site. I'm glad I'm not the only one that has gotten bit buy the BUG.

As for as your 992e goes if you can post a photo of the watch we would all like to oogle over it and go ooh- ahh. It is a little tricky getting photos to up load because they have to be made smaller.

Let me guess no chain or fob.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Sorry Chris we must of been typing at the same time as there where no other post when I started typing.

IHC Member 1142
posted
EUGENE,
THATS A DARN NICE POST RIGHT THERE ! CHRIS HAS DONE A FEW WATCHES FOR ME AND AS NICE AS HE IS IM SURE HE WOULD EXTEND A OPEN RIGHT HAND ON THAT ONE.

Posts: 220 | Location: McDonough, New York in the USA | Registered: June 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Welcome to the adventures of pocket watch ownership and glad to have you aboard.

Click here: Chris will do a fine job for you.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
When Chris gets done with it their are lot of other subjects on this clubs site. I suggest you take a day and spend it going through the different discussions and there are a lot of How to's in the tech site. Just surf around and get the feel of things. People of the membership are very willing to help you so don't be afraid to ask questions. That dumb question you ask will be a learning experience for everyone not just you. If you ask for HELP your call will be answered. Welcome to IHC-185.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Member 1142
posted
I POSTED AN OPINION ON SOMETHING THAT IS NOW MISSING ... WHAT HAPPENED ? SOMEBODY IS GOING TO FIND OUT THE TRUTH, IM OUT IN WONDER LAND LOL

Posts: 220 | Location: McDonough, New York in the USA | Registered: June 01, 2008
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Welcome aboard Roger, I see you are already benefiting from the friendly advice that is so typical of IHC185.

Sorry you had a mishap, but Chris will soon put it to rights. Smile

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
Leonard. Chris and I was typing at the same time. Mine posted 6 seconds after his. And after you posted. I read your post 2 or 3 times . Trying to figure out what you where trying to say. I edit my post as I was not trying to step on anyones toes. As I collect / repair only as a hobby. And was only offering my help since he had just bought his first watch. And has not even paid for it yet and now has to fork out money to get it fixed. We try to encourage new members so our hobby grows. The way that you edit your own post is by the little Icon that looks like a paper down on the right hand side.

IHC Member 1142
posted
EUGENE AND CHRIS,
I OWE BOTH OF YOU AN APOLOGY, I DIDNT KNOW YOU COULD DO THIS. AND WHEN I SAW THIS ALL GOING DOWN I THOUGHT THAT THIS MIGHT HAVE BEEN WHAT WAS HAPPENING, BUT DIDNT KNOW HOW IT WORKED. AS FOR THE OFFER , EUGENE YOU NEED TO HAVE A GOOD FIRM RIGHT HAND SHAKE ! NOT SLAP SIDE THE HEAD... LOL LAUGH OUT LOUD FOR THOSE THAT DONT KNOW IM STILL LEARNING THIS SHORT HAND.IF ANYBODY READ THIS THEY WOULD WONDER WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT AND SINCE I JUMPED IN, ANYBODY WOULD WONDER WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT SO SAY IT AGAIN, UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES AND SINCE WE ARE ALL FAMILY ,IN MY OPINION YOU HAVENT STEPPED ON ANYBODYS TOES, YOUR GENEROUSITY NEEDS TO RECOGNIZED AND I WILL GO TO MY GRAVE WITH THAT !

IHC Life Member
posted
Leonard when you put all capitals it sort of looks like you are screaming. My eyes hurt from all the screaming going on. Have a nice day.

IHC Member 1142
posted
EUGENE,
IM SORRY FOR THAT, ITS EASIER FOR ME TO PROF READ AND IM NOT A TYPER SO PLEASE FORGIVE ME, I SCREAM AT NOBODY. AND YOU HAVE MY WORD FROM NOW ON I WILL TYPE ANYTHING IN THIS CLUB IN SMALL LETTERS FOR YOU ,SO I DONT HAVE TO MONKEY WITH THE CAPS LOCK ,UNLESS I AUCTION SOMETHING ..MY WIFE DOES THAT.THANKS BUDDY
LEONARD

IHC Life Member
posted
Buddy you can type in Capitals or Low cased. It does not really matter as long as you keep putting your 2 cents in. I was told the same thing when I first started but did not know the difference.

IHC Member 1142
posted
thanks eugene thats what makes us close here, i mean that to all

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Welcome Roger. You can already see that we are clowns who really enjoy each other as much as our collections of timepieces.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Welcome, Roger.

You couldn't have found a better place to learn and talk about WATCHES and to have a little fun doing it!!

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Member 1508
posted
Welcome Roger! I would be devestated if that had happened to me! I'm sure good ol Chris can make it right again. Regards, Brad

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010
IHC Member 1016
posted

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
Having been a graphic designer all my life, my problem with all caps has nothing to do with the perception of a "screamer"...it has to do with readability. The example I always like to use is a comparison of the word "they" in all caps, verses "they" in lower case. If you spell it "THEY," then draw an outline around the word, it is a perfect rectangle. In the lower case version you have an abstract outline of the word thanks to the ascenders and decenders (the "h" sticking up, and the "y" hanging down). So when you use upper and lower case in flowing text, you have a multitude of abstract shapes, thus increasing readability. When every word is a rectangle, recognition of each individual word is more difficult because they all have the same shape. I have seen many eBay auctions where the people used all caps. If they wanted the text to stand out, they would have been better off using upper and lower case, and bumping up the point size. Just my 4 cents Smile

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
By the way way Roger: Bruce would also like to Welcome You He is just rambling on. Big Grin Smile

IHC Life Member
posted
Yeah, I guess I got carried away with one of my pet peeves. Welcome aboard Roger!! I like this club so much I signed up to be a Life Member after only one year. By the way, each time you visit the site, be sure to pull down the search menu and click on "new since your last visit." I found that a great way to stay abreast of everything that's going on. Smile

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2008
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Roger, Don't feel too bad, most of the old timers on here will tell you, they've dropped a watch or two in their day. That's one way we learn, what not to do. Wink

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Welcome to IHC185, Roger....by now you ought to be feeling pretty much at home, with all the joking going on....that's pretty much how we are all the time....

Hope you learn a lot, we all have, and have a whole bunch of fun....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Member 1650
posted
Roger

I also welcome you aboard. I'm also a newbie here. My experience was similar - except for me, the mainspring broke in my recently acquired watch.

Being kind of mechanical (and cheap), I decided to check into what it would take to replace the mainspring myself. So, starting with that, I'm advancing to cleaning and oiling, and nearly ready to attempt balance staff replacement. There are some great guys here - special thanks to Eugene for his help.

Good luck!

Posts: 372 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 17, 2011
posted
Wow, thank you folks for the warm welcome. I have just signed up as a dues paying member with Cooksey book on the way. As with any hobby (and I have had a few), I like to read up as much as possible vs. random collecting. Both approaches will get you to a similar endpoint, but the reading/researching route gets you there faster and cheaper in my experience.

You may find I post a fair bit once I get up the curve. I belong to another forum with over 14,000 posts to my credit! I also collect toy/model steam engines, electric and steam trains, miniature cannons/mortars and a few diecast construction vehicles. I keep all those safely on a website:
www.indianarog.com When I have a few watchs to my credit (and can manage to hang on to them)...I will add a watch section to my website.

Again, thank you all for the warm welcome...hopefully I will have the Hamilton 992E up and going in the near future...already have a chain on order and will place my watch in a safer spot than on the slick nitestand top!!!!!

cheers,
Roger

posted
WELCOME RODGER!!! you initiated yourself into pocket watch ownership and "Murphy's law" helped along the way. Speaking of dues can someone remind me of the paypal IHC e-mail so I can pay my dues, I think it is my 1 year anaversary already... I really had to think back to when I first started collecting but I also had "Murphy's law" come knocking at my door when I fumbled a newly accuired PW....NEVER ever look at the time while standing on a stair case....NUFF SAID!!!!! LMAO now but not then!!! P.S.... trains and watches.....I also collect brass steam locomotovies... good to have you here Rodger. Joe

Posts: 311 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: February 13, 2011
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Posts: 5222 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Roger,

Another excellent resource is AMERICAN WATCHMAKING by Michael C. Harrold....

This book features an authoritatively written text along with many charts, graphs, images and
original factory advertising put everything in the proper historical context.

...that we sell to our IHC185 Member as our IHC185 Two Book Offer!

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5222 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
posted
After dropping my baby, I have decided to send it to Chris Abell for his healing touch. It goes out 3/26. I would appreciate any help from you all in sorting out exactly what I have watchwise.

If I do this right, here is a link to another section of the forum with photos of my watch.

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...4108073/m/9283938077

I think mine is probably a put together movement, case, dial and maybe hands as the styles don't seem to jive with what I have been studying. I love it none the less, just curious what is what...your thoughts are much appreciated and don't hold back!

cheers,
Roger

IHC Life Member
posted
I'm not a Hamilton wizard. But it is not out of whack. That bad. I'm sure if I'm wrong some one will speak up.

The salesman case is accepted for most watches especially since yours says Hamilton. I would leave that.
The dial looks to be a $50.00 replacement. I'll have to re-look at the serial # off your movement .

IHC Life Member
posted
It is a 1939 7th run 992 E so the dial is wrong. The correct dial for the 992E would be a 519,522,or 576.
But the hands are correct except the second hand. It should be a dart.

Hamilton 992, 992E, and 992B Case & Dial Identification. (1924-1971)

posted
Eugene, thanks for the info...dating of the movement confuses me though. I found three Hamilton reference sources that clearly placed the date for serial number 2632351 at 1936. BUT, the Gelson document places it 1939/40 like what you stated. Surely there isn't that much windage between sources???

Here are the three references I found that date the movement to 1936:

http://www.antique-pocket-watc...et-watch-serial.html

http://www.pocketwatchrepair.c...tories/hamilton.html

http://www.pocketwatchsite.com/hamiltonserials.html

Thanks again, this site is a goldmine of info!!!

Roger