Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 924 & No 924 Comparison "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello everybody;

I was hoping you could help me find the answer to my small quandry here. In my collection (the one on the left), I have (what I believe to be) a Hamilton 924. However, near the outer edge of the movement, and just below the balamce cock there is no model number such as, in this case, the number "924" I just saw another one on eBay that I'd like to acquire and it does indeed have the number "924" in the place where I believe it's supposed to be.

Can anyone tell me if my own Hamilton is in fact a "924"? I really like mine as it has all gold fittings, plate screrws, jewel setting etc. but need to know if it is in fact a 924.

Thanks for any help.

Bud

Posts: 449 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: September 28, 2010
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Bud,
The earlier Hamiltons were not marked as to the model number. All 924's were unadjusted 17 jewels.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Bud,

Look up the Hamilton movement number on the Gelson list, that will tell you the grade.

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...4108073/m/5581025012

Early Hamilton movements often lacked grade markings, until time service regulations were changed, circa 1906, to require explicit grade markings on railroad watches.

This requirement was apparently applied across the board, to non-railroad watches such as the 924 as well, since we see the grade numbers appearing on these watches in the same time frame.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Ed, & Ed;

Thank you gentlemen, your explanation sheds a light on this for sure. I love learning about these things, and especially from the great teachers we have up here on IHC185

Thanks again.

Bud

quote:
Bud,
The earlier Hamiltons were not marked

Posts: 449 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: September 28, 2010