Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Moorhouse dials--class is in session "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
I've received numerous e-mail inquires lately about Moorhouse dials, so I thought I would post a few and describe the various features to help spot a true Joshia Moorhouse dial on a Howard. Joshia was the dial room foreman from about 1884 to about 1894 at the Howard factory and it has been estimated he signed about 400-500 of his dials. It seems that 99% of the dials exhibit what I call the "Mulberry" design at the 15 minute marks as shown in the example, also very extravagant flourishes on the E. Howard & Co. logo is another good clue. The dials also tend to be more elaborate than the formal standard E. Howard dial.

Posts: 352 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
But of course there are always exceptions, this Moorhouse dial is rather plain but the "Mulberry" design at the 15 minute marks and the different "Gothic" style logo are the clues on this dial.

IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
Here is the J. Moorhouse signature, it is baked in to the enamel, making it impossible to fake by adding it later. This signed dial is from a Gsz transition, hence the absence of a second sector. Moorhouse dials are found on Gsz,Lsz, Nsz and the Jsz. Howards.

IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
Some dials show all the Moorhouse characteristics but are not signed, this is one of those. The jury is still out on whether or not unsigned dials like this example are true Moorhouse dials or not, even though it has all the usual clues. The very fine detail does not seem to be there. I would you caution before paying top dollar for dials like this unsigned one. It is definitely a desirable dial though. Hope this answers some of the questions.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Harold, these are just great.

You are an amazing storehouse of information. The Moorhouse touch is unique. Many of us who could never even hope to hold such a watch in our hand let alone own one are so very grateful to you! Others of us now have a goal in mind and are likewise indebted to you.

Thanks for the great information, and please keep it coming my friend!

Warm Regards,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
here is the front of the signed dial back posted above, Sometimes you have to look close to see a Moorhouse but the clues are always there.

IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
Lindell, glad you like them, with the easy way to post the pics now, it's no chore at all. Hope everybody enjoys the pics and short tutorial. Smile
Harold

Picture of David Johnson
posted
Harold,

Thanks for the continuing education! You keep this up and you'll have me collecting Howards myself. Wink

David

Posts: 606 | Location: Dade City, Florida USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Harold,
What a marvelous tutorial! Thanks for the great scans and the detailed explainations of these beautiful Moorhouse dials.

Ed Ueberall
NAWCC #49688
IHC #34
http://members.aol.com/stdwatch/

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
<Ball992B>
posted
These are great images. Nice and clear with fine details.
Thanks for the clues on how to spot a Moorehouse dial. I didn't know it was that simple.

Don

posted
Great dials and explanation Harold. Many thanks for posting them. I am fortunate enough to have found a J size early Howard with a "Moorhousish" dial. While it's not signed, it does have the flourishes at the quarters and very nice serpentine numerals. Thanks again.
B

J size Moorhouse-ish

Posts: 97 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: December 21, 2002
posted
Thank you Howard for taking the time to share and educate!

posted
Here is a dial that has all of the "Mulberry" designs at the 15 minute markers and the distinctive lettering. Not signed on the back, but I think this dial qualifies as a Moorhouse dial What do you guys think?

Phil Dellinger
NAWCC# 157070
IHC Member #140

Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
I think I love them all! Eek Thanks Howard,very nice presentation. Smile

Sam Williamson
NAWCC 154312
IHC Charter Member 14
Member Chapters 96 and 185

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002
IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
Phil, is that one of the Hampden 18sz versions? I know of only three or so of those Moorhouse style Hampden dials. Whether it is a genuine Moorhouse, I guess it would depend on if you're buying or selling it! Smile
Harold

posted
quote:
Originally posted by Harold Visser:
Phil, is that one of the Hampden 18sz versions? I know of only three or so of those Moorhouse style Hampden dials. Whether it is a genuine Moorhouse, I guess it would depend on if you're buying or selling it! Smile
Harold

Harold,
Yes this dial is on a Hampden Watch Co 18 Size KW HC movement in a coin silver hunter case.
Thanks for the information on these dials.

Phil Dellinger
NAWCC# 157070
IHC Member #140

E. Howard Expert
Picture of Dr. Clint Geller
posted
This is a wonderful thread. Mr. Dellinger's Moorhouse-style Ball Hampden dial is a particularly nice example of the type. I showed another Ball Hampden dial with strong Moorhouse influences in my August, 1993 BULLETIN article on Howard watch dials. I speculated there that Moorhouse might conceivably have free-lanced for Hampden in his spare time. The plausibility of this idea is supported by the existence of a spectacular Waltham Model 1883 dial, also shown in the article, that is signed by Moorhouse on the reverse, along with both the date of its creation and the time of day - "7:30 PM." The time of day may have been added in order to document that the work was done on Moorhouse's own time, rather than his employer's.

Another obvious possibility is that someone at Hampden copied Moorhouse's style. If we could ever find a Moorhouse-style Ball Hampden dial with Moorhouse's signature on the reverse, this would settle the question.

Readers interested in learning more about Moorhouse's career and how to spot his work - as not all of it is as obvious as some of the dials that my friend and research collaborator Harold Visser shows above - might also wish to look at the 8/93 Bulletin article. (Harold was probably too modest to mention just how rare Gothic signatures are on Howard dials. In 20 years of collecting, I have seen exactly two.)

Cheers.

Clint Geller

Smile

Posts: 219 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 10, 2003
posted
Found an auction with a rare "G" size E Howard hunter case 18K pocket watch, it also has a very great example of a personalized Moorhouse dial. Someone is the proud new owner of this great timepiece. Smile Smile

posted
Another from the auction...

IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
Wow Brian, Yes you are right, that is an E. Howard scale but older than you thought.That scale was made by Stephenson, Davis, and Howard who were partners starting around 1843 or early 1844 in Hingham, Mass. I believe, but am not positive, it was called the " Dearborn Patent Balance Scale" In 1847 Stepenson withdrew from the firm, so your scale falls between those few years! That is a rare beautiful historical piece,how long have you owned it?
Harold, who missed out today!

E. Howard Expert
Picture of Dr. Clint Geller
posted
A wonderful scale. Thanks for posting it. I owned a cute and very rare little micrometer engraved "E. Howard & Co." once, but my friend George Collord - who salivates over tools like most of us do over watches - talked me out of it. Its in a good home, anyway. My condolences to Harold on the auction. He can console himself somewhat by considering how much his other MH dials are apparently worth now.

Clint Geller

Posts: 219 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 10, 2003