Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

South Bend "half-time" advertising question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1110
posted
In a lot of South Bend ads, they state that their watches are "tested on half-time without hairspring".I take that to mean they test run the watch wound halfway with the hairspring removed.Is that what they meant? I can't imagine what that would prove.It would'nt do the pallet& escape wheel any good, I wouldn't think.I've never heard of any other company advertising doing that.Please pardon my ignorance, but I've been wondering about this for some time! Thanks again, Ted Brown.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
I believe what is being referred to is the watch running at half it's speed, not half wound. A watch able to run properly at half-time without a hairspring is indicative of everything being "just right". It would mean the train has minimal friction, is in perfect beat and that power is getting to the balance with sufficient impulse to run the watch.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC Member 1110
posted
Thank you, Roger!

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Hello Theodore & Roger,

Dave just started a new string with this attached, you may find it interesting.... See it Run without a Hairspring

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008