Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham help. Weber bros, st cloud minn. "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
I have an Waltham with a serial # 20024957. It has raised jewel caps. Does any one have any info on the movement.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Member 1110
posted
Gene,I tried to look up your Waltham in my Ehrhardt Waltham book, but there's no info, just says "assorted specials".Nothing about grade, size,jewels or adjustment.Is it a 16S?

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Member 1357
posted
I also looked it up online and came up with the same. Roger [Odd]

Posts: 4092 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Well it sure looks special. Here are some photos. 16sz

IHC Life Member
posted
Marked 17 jewel made expressly for Weber Bros, St Cloud Minn. Adjusted

IHC Life Member
posted
Marked Hamline on the dial

IHC Life Member
posted
It has a rounded spoke center wheel. and a steel escapement wheel

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
These 550 Serial Numbers are very likely assigned to a marketing push to make "special" Dealer named watches to enhance sales of the newly upgraded Model 1908. What better incentive than to give some of the more popular Dealers a "special watch" in their own store name to show to prospective buyers.

As for the Weber Bros., St. Cloud, by 1910 St. Cloud was a main hub between Minneapolis/St. Paul (and lines from Chicago) that connected to James J. Hill's Great Northern routes west to Seattle and North to connect with CPR in Winnipeg. There is absolutely no doubt that Weber was an important part of keeping all of that "on time".

That would make this a very singular and collectible watch.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
This came In for a repair from a dealer I guess I'll try to buy

IHC Life Member
posted
I guess what makes this special is that Waltham did not offer private labeling very often. At the lease I have not seen any before.
Does any one else have examples of private label walthams.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Looking in the Waltham book by Ehrhardt, he lists a few pages of private label Walthams & has photos of a few.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
I have one that is a private label. The interesting thing about this is that the name on the dial is printed or painted on top of existing Waltham logo.

Posts: 375 | Location: Backaryd, Sweden | Registered: April 19, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
The movement on the other hand is only marked with the private name.

IHC Life Member
posted
I can't quite figure out what it says, but I think it is G H Willoby.

Regards, Krister

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Kirster, it is George H. Willoby. He was born about April 1855 in New Hampshire & had a store in Franklin Ma.

This is from the 1899 city directory for Franklin.

Tom

IHC Life Member
posted
Tom do you have any info on the Weber brothers in St Cloud.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Eugene, I will search some more this evening after work but it looks like the two brothers were probably;
Weber, William S. born 1878 in MN
Weber, John P. born 1880 in MN died 1953

They were both brothers and lived in St. Cloud, they were both listed as jewelers in the census in St. Cloud. Also William was listed in 1900 as a music teacher. At some point it looks like the business was called Weber's Jewelry & Music. Later John was listed as an optician.

I am not sure if this is what the Hamline on the dial refers to but this is a Minnesota connection;

Hamline University

Hamline was named in honor of Leonidas Lent Hamline, a bishop of the Methodist Church whose interest in the frontier led him to donate $25,000 toward the building of an institution of higher learning in what was then the territory of Minnesota.

IHC Life Member
posted
Tom, you did it again! (And I don't mean spelling my name wrong. Big Grin) Thank you very much.

Regards, Krister

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Sorry about that Krister, spelling has never been my thing. Today I left a note for a coworker & I signed it Tim, that is pretty bad when you misspell your own name!

Tom/Tim

IHC Life Member
posted
That is almost as bad as calling your spouse by the wrong name! I hope you don't think I was offended by the mistake because it could happen to the best. (It has happened to me even. Wink )
Regards, Krister

IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Tom I was hoping they where railroad watch inspectors.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Eugene
I was hoping for the same thing, I know we will never know who all the watch inspectors were, I am now up to over 1500 in my research. As more and more old newspapers & magazines get up loaded onto the web we will find more and more. I thought I had hit an end then last week I found about 100 more names.

Doing this research I found that some jewelers advertised that they were watch inspectors as their main selling point, then others I find only mentioned in a passing note or even in a wedding announcement. I have even found them listed in ads in high school year books.

I think short of actually going to the city where the jeweler was located and doing some on the ground investigation as long as there was some sort of railroad in the town or street car transportation or mining, we might not ever be able to say for certain if someone was or was not an inspector.

Tom

IHC Life Member
posted
Well I did get to purchase the Weber brother watch today. I guess I get it up and running in a few days. I will post photos when It is done. If there is intress is this watch I might be persuades in putting it up for sale.