• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Blauer coin silver invisible joint case. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a question about this case. I have been restoring a Waltham model 1883 circa 1886 SW/LS 11jewels in it's original Blauer case. Patented Nov,1883 with invisible joints,coin silver 3oz with an original glass crystal.Is there any information anywhere about this case,I have looked everywhere with no luck.Your help is appreciated.RB

Posts: 3 | Location: Sunrise, Florida USA | Registered: November 06, 2006
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Welcome to Chapter 185 Randy!

This is a good place to find the horological info you need. One of the best tools available in that regard is the "Find or Search" button on the tool bar at the top of the page.

Here is a link to a search I just ran on "invisible joint". Check out the 7 prior discussion thread "hits" I got on this topic.

One of those hits concerns a Waltham M92 in a coin silver invisible joint case from my collection.

Hope this info helps!

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Welcome Aboard Randy!

One of the references Ed pointed to is an Invisible Joint Case that sold a few months ago in our Chapter 185 Members Only Auctions. That particular case was unusually nice and housed an apparently original to it Model 1879 Waltham movement. You may find the case markings of interest...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks for the help.This is the first time I have seen anything related to a invisible joint the only thing is mine says Blauer on top invisible joint in the middle and coin on the bottom.And on the inside cover there's a pat date nov 6,1883 and a 3 in the middle and sr# on the bottom.Thanks for your help again RB.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Randy, I believe the "4" means "4-Ounce" Silver, so evidently yours is a 3-Ounce version.

Another image showing hidden hinges on the one we sold...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Randy - have you seen the article by John Wilterding on "The Invisible Joint Case Company - An Enigma" in the February 1998 Bulletin? It is a good article with history and patent information.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
You can also check the patent database and find out that Robert John Quigley patented a case joint on November 6, 1883, patent #288184. Then you can go to the US Patent and Trademark Office web site to get the images of the patent. Big Grin

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Thanks Tom,I would have never of thought of that
Thank You RB.