Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin 17s restoring "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Fabrizio Di Claudio
posted
Hi, this is my Elgin 17s serial 486468 about 1876 keywind, with broken second pivot. Frown

Broken second pivot ( photo with lens )

I use lathe boley 6,5mm ..

I place calibrated "blu steel"

Cut..

Final test Smile

Now the second problem is escapement with broken tooth.

Fabrizio

Posts: 77 | Location: Torino in Italy | Registered: January 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Amazing Fabrizio

I don't know if I have ever seen that style of movement before & a 17s. Did it come with a case?

I looked in my Elgin book to see if perhaps another models escape wheel would fit but the book shows your grade 59 as a class 15 & in the book it is the only one listed for that particular escape wheel. If it helps their original part number was 998.

Also I went to mail your Columbus pallet fork & the glass polishing compound yesterday & the post office showed me a less expensive way to send it, so I am repackaging it today & will get it off later today. The cost went from $26 to $12 in shipping & I couldn't pass it up. Sorry for the delay.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Wonderful pictorial essay Fabrizio!

How did you fix the broken tooth?

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Great work Fabrizio,

Both the pictures and the workmanship are first-rate!

I do not recall being previously aware of 17-size Elgin Watches. If you need one, finding a case could be nearly impossible unless you might perhaps modify a 16-size. So sad that today that we are seeing a new wave of mindless greed going after our irreplaceable gold watch cases.

But on a happier note, all over the world there are good people saving these treasures!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
What fine precision work! I am impressed.
I have a movement just like that one, but never hoped that I could ever find a case that would fit it. I suppose some 18 size cases could be fitted with a ring to size them down. Do you think?

Steve G.

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
quote:
Amazing Fabrizio

I don't know if I have ever seen that style of movement before & a 17s. Did it come with a case?

I looked in my Elgin book to see if perhaps another models escape wheel would fit but the book shows your grade 59 as a class 15 & in the book it is the only one listed for that particular escape wheel. If it helps their original part number was 998.

Also I went to mail your Columbus pallet fork & the glass polishing compound yesterday & the post office showed me a less expensive way to send it, so I am repackaging it today & will get it off later today. The cost went from $26 to $12 in shipping & I couldn't pass it up. Sorry for the delay.

Tom

12$ is good! You have email. Thank you :-)

posted
quote:
What fine precision work! I am impressed.
I have a movement just like that one, but never hoped that I could ever find a case that would fit it. I suppose some 18 size cases could be fitted with a ring to size them down. Do you think

Thank you to all for information. Wink
Yes i think fitted ring is Ok i like your idea.

posted
I have some broken movements of american pocket watch, escapement of New Era 18s seem work good.

Removing and insert pinion of elgin on new era escapement

Running!! I not tested accuracy, but running strong

Now i look for case..

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
We are going to nickname you "Fabrizio the Fabulous". Very nice work and great improvising.

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Fabrizio - I am very impressed with your ability to make these movements run again! It must be so rewarding to bring them back to life. Big Grin

One of my very first posts was about my 17 size Elgin T.M.Avery in a coin case marked Avery. They also made three other models in 17 size, all 7 - 15 jewels, key wind, key set. It would be interesting to see if an 18 size case could be modified to house a 17 size movement with a fitted ring. If you try, please let us know how it works out.

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Fabrizo nice work it,s not easy too pivot a 4th wheel and get it true..Have you tried the micro carbite bits yet they are great ,,2 things i like about them is the carbite and the fact that they are short some of them only 1/4 inch long on the cutting part of the bit. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
Fabrizio,
Great work, it's amazing to me how you could think to adapt the New Era escapement to such a hard to source part for the 17 size Elgin...Incredible as always..
Ray

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Fabrizio, your discovery of an escape wheel from a NYS good enough to fix this mivement suggests a whole new class of listings here for "interchangeable" parts.

Again you earn the title "Fabrizio di Magnifico"!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007