Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Key wind, keys question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
I have a few questions about the keys used to wind/set key wind pw's.

Did the watch makers make their own keys?

Were they made by other firms like the cases?

Is their imformation available on the
manufacturing of these keys?

Thanks
Ed

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Ed,
I know that years ago, Kendrick & Davis here in N.H. made watch keys as well as fine quality watch tools.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Brian,
Yes in Hanover. The key factory burnt to the ground along with some other 80 other buildings in the town in May 1887. I don't know if they ever rebuilt the factory. I guess the fire put 600 people out of work.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Often I have wondered if any of my Key-Wind Watches have the original key of if the key we use today is a later replacement. Is there any way to know? Many watches have keys with jewelers names but a swivel mounted key with a patent date from the same time frame as the watch is usually my preference.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Lindell,
That might be as close as we can get to a match for us. The keys being so small and detached would probably be easy to lose or misplace.
I was wondering if some of the better quality watches had seriel numbered keys to match the mvts or cases. Probably not, that would be a little far fetched!