Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Need info on a Hamilton comparing watch box "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
I would like to get some dimensions on a Hamilton U S Navy comparing watch box. Close-up pics would be very helpful also.
Thanks
Ed Kitner

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
One of our members sent me an email and said he didn't think the comparing watch was supplied with a wooden box. I had thought I remembered reading somewhere that some did have boxes, whether supplied by Hamilton or the US Navy. But at my age I am not sure of anything any more.
Could anyone else shed some light on this matter?

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Whitney's Military Timepieces book, Pg's 235-237 has the full specification for the 2974B Comparator, and it has no mention of a case such as was supplied for the 4992/3992 navigation watches. One interesting fact though is the 17 Jewel Waltham 16A was also produced as a Comparator during WWII. Those cased with a separate dust cover and engraved with US Navy or BuORd contracts could be one of the rare Waltham comparator. My Russian Ships Comparator is Boxed, but as it is easily as accurate as the Hamilton Model 22, It may have also done duty as a Ship's Chronometer.
(In Pic shown next to a Russian Chronometer)

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Thanks David, I guess I can blame this on a senior moment. Big Grin But I had better be careful, I have to many of them.