• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Page 1 2 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Looking to buy a P&S camera with a good macro for watches "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
Tom,
That Glycine is a cool watch (nicely photographed, too).
Evan

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
posted
Thats a nice EVO Road King Tom. Wish I hadnt sold my 95 Road King, but I do love my Ultra Classic.

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Here's an 'experimental' photo of my Vostok with my newly acquired Nikon D40. This camera is way beyond my ability so far and it's going to be a slow learning curve, until I can get the pictures I want.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Those Russians, what style!

The D-40 is a nice DSLR and I believe that you've wisely chosen image quality over convenience.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks William,
I studied the options long and hard. I know I could go with a P & S and be perfectly happy with it. But, I think I'll enjoy the challenge to see what I can do with the Nikon.

Again, I appreciate all the input of members in helping make this decision.

That Vostok isn't something I was looking for, it came with some others. But I have developed a new appreciation for this type watch. This thing is very reliable and keeps almost perfect time for 30 hours plus on a wind.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1357
posted
Dave,I think you will master the camera in no time.Nice pics. and the Vostock watches are good runners!
Roger

Posts: 4093 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks Roger.

Dave Turner

IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Hi Again Dave,

Just a word about "kit lenses": These are the lenses that usually come bundled with many DSLR's when purchased new. They are meant to be used as a starting point and while one may get decent results with them, they're never up to the performance standards of the cameras they came with. Being a Canon user I found that the 18-55mm kit lens that came with my Rebel XTi was completely unacceptable! HERE is a link to a site that makes available test results for almost all lenses currently produced. I used it as a final reference for the lens purchases I made. Also tons of other great educational stuff there too.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
posted
Take a look at kenrockwell.com. He has tons and tons of info on his website.

Posts: 301 | Location: Ogallala, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: August 27, 2005
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks Joe, Been there and done that. You're right. It's about the best site out there.

William, Thanks for the link. I'll definitely study it. Mine came with the standard kit lens also.

Dave Turner

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
One professional's recommendations on cameras:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVDrrkWlj_0

Interesting read. Never found this until today.

Dave Turner