• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin Veritas 18 sz RR watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted

Here is a Elgin Veritas 18sz,21 jewel,lever set,grade 239,serial no 9549462 made in 1901 and it has a montgomery dial and I don't know if the box is original to the watch but you don't see elgin wooden boxes that often it came with the watch when I bought it.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Mike, I totally agree with you.

By improving on the Waltham 1892 model, Elgin created the ONLY 18 size 3/4 plate RR grade in the 20th century. With this "Model 8" movement, Elgin "broke the mold".

These 23 Jewel Veritas Model 8's of mine are certainly the flagships of my Elgins. The "Split Hour" hand Lehigh Valley RR watch has the most history, but I still think Elgin was going a little overboard with Diamond End stones on the Balance wheel jewels. Their stylish gold Jewel mountings were very tasteful, so I guess that forgives their exuberance in "jeweling".

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
I like the second time zone I saw something about veritas in the Bulletin when they use to have the railroad corner in every issue and wanted to get one and this was the one I got the price was right at the time. One of these day's I might get a 23 jewel one.You got some nice watches Dave.I wish they would start having more stuff on RR watches more often in the bulletin.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I agree totally aboiut the RR watches in the bulletin. They did a thing on 16s 17 Jewel RR grades and promised a followup article 6 months ago . . . still waiting. Roll Eyes

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I have the 23j model 214 myself, and carry it on occasion. A VERY accurate watch, and a joy to carry. It, too, is the flagship of my collection.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3832 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002