Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

This has no band...It must be a pocket watch!!!! "Click" to Login or Register 
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
I hate when this happens. Family knows that I'm a fan/collector of Hamilton wrist watches. Still, it never stops people from asking me about Elgin's or Pocket waches. So, here is my problem. My brother in law wants to know about this watch. It looks like a pocket watch. It is yellow gold filled. You can see the photo's. I had a new crystal installed. It was cleaned and oiled. The dial looks clean. I see no hairline cracks or anything else.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could tell me about this watch. Obviously it is a 10K gold filled Hamilton, with a 21 Jewel movement, 992B. That is where I stop. Any help would be appreciated. He isn't looking to sell this, just to understand what it is.

Regards,

Bill

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Bill,

Point your brother-in-law to our...

Hamilton 992B Research Forum

There you'll find references to serial numbers, cases, practically anything he might want to know.

What he has there is a late 992B from circa 1964 production. That is a 10K Gold-Filled Case-Model 17 which is one of three basic models offered at the time. In 1964 the 992B in the Gold-Filled Model 17 Case was listed at $89.50 and $325.00 in a Solid-Gold Model 17 Case. The 992B was also available for $75.00 in a Stainless-Steel Model 15 Case or $85.00 in the 10K Rolled-Gold Plate Model 16 Case.

The serial number of the case you showed us is right in line with documented examples. From your clear images everything about that watch, the dial, hands, movement and case looks original and correct.

Hope this is of help,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
hi Bill,

Late 60's vintage...

992B, 21 jewel, adjusted 6 positions, elinvar extra hairspring, possible 54 hour mainspring.

Model 17 case
#121 Melamine HG RWS dial

combination looks correct to me...
can see nothing major.. but i personally don't 'like' the dog head case screw i think i see

this is very near the end of production

take care with these bows... they are not as strong as the model 2 IMHO...

one of the last american RR watches.

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Lindell & Terry,

This is of tremendous help, and I appreciate it greatly. My brother-in-law isn't a "watch person". This information is far more than he or his family would ever imagine that they could get. I appreciate your help a great deal.

Thank you my friends,

Bill

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Terry, What is a "Dog head case screw"? (DID I JUST SAY THAT OUT LOUD?).

Could you also tell me what "Melamine HG RWS" stands for?

Thanks so much for your help with this.

Bill

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Melamine is a plastic composite material the dial is made from and "Heavy Gothic" is the style of numerals. The dial is correct to have with "Railway Special" or (RWS for short) markings. That's one of the two available dials at the time.

That "dog-head" is a new term for me as well. But I'm sure Terry refers to the clipped case-screw from which nearly half of the top is missing. That was evidently done during repairs to save time putting the movement back into the case. If you'd like send me the watch, I'll do some appearance cleaning up, replace that screw and send it back at no charge. You do so much to help all of us it would be a way of thanking you.

See that clipped case-screw at the red arrow...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002