Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Show us your Fobs!!! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
I know many collect these fobs for pocket watches and I am partial to the heavy equipment ones myself especially the Caterpillar ones since I worked for them so many years. Here is one I will start with.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Great topic, and the "CAT" is cool Robert!

This one features South-Bend 329 "The Studebaker" watch...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

And flip it over, there is some information on the other side...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Here are a few more of mine. I like the train I don't have any of those. I guess they are not as popular as these others.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
posted
Robert,
This reply has more to do with the machine on your first fob than it does with the fob itself.

I have some experience with the Allis Chalmers crawlers. The HD-21 was their big gun back in the 1950's. All of the crawlers by that manufature were powered with the Detroit deisel engine. They were rated by the number of cylinders and the cubic inch displacement for each one of them. Example,2-71,3-71,4-71,6-71. The first number being the nimber of cyliders and the second the CID. Anyway,the HD-21 was powered with a Detroit 6-101 which is a rare enigine to find. BTW,the HD-21 was a real hog to transport and took a special over-load permit to get it down the highway. Most truckers would load and haul after midnight,because the fines were cheaper than the permits. Wink

Larry

Posts: 225 | Location: Belmont, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 09, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
Hey Lawrence I did not know the other equipment as well as I knew the Caterpilars since I worked for a Caterpillar dealership. I was in field service working on the large equipment that was hard to move on lowboys so I am familiar with the large equipment. I actually still have all my tools sockets up to 4 1/2" and all. I know a little about the Detroits (oil leakers) and worked on a few. I beleive it was the 671 and the 353 that rings a bell for working on the most. Take care and show us your fobs!!!! Razz

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
For fob collectors, how do you recognize the multitude of reproduction fobs that are on the market?

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
A little large for a fob, but that's what it was used for. Solid Gold. With a Pansy of course.
It's a real Chestnut!

Sheila

Chestnut200.jpg

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
Some sort of flag.

Sheila

Chestnutw.jpg

posted

Sheila

Chestnutw2.jpg

IHC Life Member
posted
Interesting Sheila it looks hand made!!

posted
Hi Robert,
Yep, that's what the auction said. It's actually nicer than these ebay pictures show, and I was shocked at how nice it was.
Now I just love it, because I can use it on a watch chain, or use it as a necklace.
It looks hand made, but much finer than it shows up in pictures. (I tried) but they still come out looking the same, and no real glamor like the real thing. Very Shiny, and the color of the gold is beautiful.
Thanks!

Sheila

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Here's one that is for some paint company, looks old.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Back side.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
posted
Brian,
I found them!
You may want to write to them and see if you can get some info. on your fob!

Nice Fob!

Egyptian Lacquer Mfg. Co.
113 Fort Granger Drive
Franklin, TN 37064

http://www.egyptcoat.com/about.htm

Sheila

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Thanks Sheila. I'll write to them and see what they say.
Brian C.

Picture of Robert M. Sweet
posted
When fob's were 15 Cents.....

Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
posted
A close-up....

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
Wow now that is cool Cool
15 cents couldn't even touch it for 100 times that now. should have invested in them.

posted
Robert,
Thanks for sharing your nice fob's.

Do you know the time frame of the "Cat" in top row, center?

Robert

"Frisco Railway"

posted
Here are a few fobs and charms I found here. The last two aren't fobs, but charms for a vest chain I think. One of the charms is a $2.50 US gold coin (gift from my parents a long time ago) and the other is an advertising piece from the Atkins Saw Company. My Grandpa was mill foreman and millwright for a lumber operation in western North Carolina and probably got it from an Atkins drummer when he called at the mill to sell some saws. There are separate pictures of the other three.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
This one is an AC (Allis-Chambers?) HD21

posted
And here's a Euclid C6

posted
A member produced them in the 1968-78 time frame and they could be ordered with membership number and name engraved on the back. The abbreviated name of the person who made these is on the back of the fob; it looks like Geo!Mtta.O. This one was my Dad's. Mine is out there somewhere it went with a Hamilton 992 when the house was burgled back in 1993.

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
There's an idea for Lindell....wish we could get a fob with the 185 emblem!

Neat looking collection! I carried a cheap quartz hunter watch on a Seaboard Coastline fob for several years while I was working at Lowes. I still have the fob....the quartz watch died a horrible death.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
This is one from the Order of Railroad Telegrapher's Division #11 from Ottawa, Ontario and celebrates the fact that they have 100% membership in their local, as opposed to having "No Bills" railroad slang for nonmembers. This term comes from cars in train manifests that have no bills showing their destination or origin in other words along for the free ride.

Buchaneer

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Nice Fobs Robert I believe that Cat is from the 40's when it had no blade and the transmision case was actually part of the frame.
Hey John first Euclid dozer fob I have seen. THanks!!! I have seen there other equipment fobs.
Larry Interesting fob is that enamel? What does the back side say the same thing.
Thanks for posting!! Smile

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Robert:

The fob has enamel on the blue outer ring, the white shield, and the red telegraphs sounder with the dates 1924 and 1925 on each side. The back of the fob is bronze and marked Kent and Sons, a watchmaker and jeweler from Toronto, Ontario

posted
Robert, To answer your question on the Cats that we used in the Army--We had D-7E's for regular grading work. We used D-8H's for quarry work and we had one d-9 (the model letter escaped me now) for really heavy work in rock. The d-7E's were too light for quarry work as we kept throwing hydraulic cylinders and occasionally threw a track. The D-8's were great for quarry work.

Tom

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Robert:

Here is one from the Union Switch & Signal, George Westinghouse inventor of the Railroad Air Brake bought the patents from US&S and consolidated them with his own patents for Railroad Interlockings and started Union Switch & Signal in Swissvale, Pennsylvania 125 years ago in 1881. The Company has changed managements over the years but still exists today with headquarters in Philadelphia. The fob has the US&S insignia in polished gold, and has an enameled train order signal showing red, yellow, and green for the lights, and red and white for the board.

Larry Buchan

posted
Tom,
Three words.

I WANT IT!!!!!!

That is so cool! Love it!

Sheila

IHC Life Member
posted
Here is a couple I found in some of my stuff. Nice but I think they will be Ebayed. I wonder how new the mickey mouse is?

IHC Life Member
posted
Picture of the back