Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Here is the final "The Studebaker" question. "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bernhard Schmidt
posted
Hi!
This question has two reasons. First of all; I need to get this right for my self. And second of all; I have to convince my brother of what I believe is right.
Is the Studebaker at the photo the high grade "The Studebaker" or the lower grade "Studebaker". As far as I understand this mvt is no 229 "Studebaker" but not "The Studebaker". The "The Studebaker" was not equipped with metal dial, well this is, isn´t it?
Thanks in advance!
/Confused Confused Bernhard

Posts: 423 | Location: Västerås in Swedem | Registered: January 02, 2004
posted
the dial

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
Bernhard,

The watch there is the 16s "Mail Order" STUDEBAKER, it is basically an upjeweled version of the 19-jewel 219. It is really not related to "The Studebaker", one of which is the 21-Jewel grade 229. Other "The Studebaker" models were the 18-size 329, 328 and 323 along with a 16-size 223. All of them say "The Studebaker" in script lettering on the movement. "Mail Order" STUDEBAKER's have block lettering and omit the word "the."

For one thing "The Studebaker" always came with a "South Bend" dial and as far as I know was always Enamel. Then there is the 16s "Mail Order" Studebaker which usually came with a metal dial and always had "STUDEBAKER" on the dial. I don't recall ever seeing an enamel "STUDEBAKER" dial, make sense?

Of course all 16s dials on South Bends are interchangable so you could find a "The Studebaker" with a metal dial from a "Mail Order" STUDEBAKER on it, even though that would be an incorrect pairing.

Best regards,

Frank "407" Kusumoto

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
posted
Thanks Frank, just what I needed!
Best regards!
Bernhard

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Bernhard,

Frank is correct, and I urge you to read the following...

In 1923 the "Studebaker Watch Company" was put together in order to market pocket watches, wristwatches and jewelry directly to the public through mail order advertising and jewelry catalogs. Since these watches were shipped direct, the buyer chose the case-style, movement and dial combination from mail order offerings. As the mail order Studebaker watches were launched in Pendant-Set "8-adjustment" versions of both 12 and 16-size, sales really took off, and nearly 95,000 were sold. These watches, confusion associated with them and the way they were marketed was a factor in the demise of the company, and they continue to cause no end of confusion for watch collectors even today.

It is important to understand the great difference between "The Studebaker" high-grade RR movements and "Studebaker" medium grade mail order watches. All of the aforementioned relatively inexpensive "8-adjustment" mail-order "Studebaker" watches were produced by South-Bend from 1923 through 1929 with "Studebaker" printed on a metal dial. These will have serial numbers consisting of 7 digits and beginning with a "1" in every instance. They were good watches, but not Railroad grade due to their being pendant-set. Although plate layout is similar and they are all clearly marked as South-Bend products, be careful not to confuse "mail-order Studebakers" with the far higher grade "The Studebaker" movements.

From "THE HISTORY OF SOUTH-BEND WATCHES"

To learn more about the South-Bend Watch Company and its products, click the link above.

Hope this helps,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
The way I remember the difference is: If it is engraved "Adjusted to 5 positions" and/or it is lever set, it is a The Studebaker. If it is engraved "8 Adjustments" and/or it is pendant set, it is a mail order Studebaker.
Also, in the example you showed, I believe that this case has an incorrect bow. The factory bows on the "Bulldog" style cases are distinctive and are hard to find today.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
Thanks everyone.
The thing is, this watch belongs to my brother who received it from my father. Our father has donate a lot of really disireable watches both to my elder and my younger brother.
We all thought it was the high grade Studebaker until I became a member in this chapter a little bit over a year ago. I have ever since tried to tell them that this Studebaker is not the high grade one but they have had a hard time admit it. Thats why we took his particular mvt, pictured it and put it at this thread to get a statement from you, and we did, thanks a lot!

Lindell
I have been reading the story about South Bend that you have create, a few times and know what is written even if I have hard to uderstand every single word. A great essay for shore. Everybody with a pocket watch interest should read it.

Tom
The case shows a lot of brass on the back but the dust cover is still there.
Thanks to everybody again!
/Bernhard

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Bernhard,

We all need to be aware of the difficulties in translation. Internet Horology Chapter 185 is a diverse, multi-national group with members in twenty countries worldwide. Chapter 185 is uniquely the one and only World-Wide Local Chapter. This is your organization and we will do "whatever it takes" to assist you in any way we can.

About the case...

This particular case, made by the North American Watch Case Company of Mansfield, Ohio was used by several companies including South-Bend as original equipment. Some of those made specifically for the Burlington Watch Company had "Bulldog" markings as Ed Ueberall pointed out. Those are so well known that the "Bulldog" name is often mistakenly used for this case and others of similar configuration. Bernhard's case came with that Studebaker movement.

About the complete watch...

That's right, the case housing Bernhard's watch is a syle originally offered by the South-Bend factory in the guise of "Studebaker Watch Company" along with the movement and dial combination he has. Except for the replacement crown and bow Bernhard's watch is a correct and original example. For authentication see the advertisement below this post.

I would urge everyone reading this to explore our exclusive "South-Bend Watch Company Research Forum" for more information than ever before available about South-Bend Watches and related products. Rather than publish for profit or keep the information only to a select few, everything is open and free to the world. Many items you see there are one-of-a-kind from my collection. Frank Kusumoto did this compilation work and he deserves our gratitude.

The promise of IHC185 is freely shared horological knowledge. We are keeping that promise in becoming an educational outreach resource and openly providing everything we have to everyone in the world without charge. Consider that and urge others to join, participate and support this important work we are doing and all that we provide.

Lindell

Studebaker Watch Company ad with Bernhard's watch...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002