Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Father Time Photos & Help Needed Please "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
I love Elgin's, and I have always wanted a Father Time watch. However, I have seen many different Father Time watches and have no idea what I want, or know that much about them.

So, Can some of you post your Father Time watches for me, so I can finally know which ones I may want to consider.

I could also use more information on the Father Time line of watches.

Any information would be wonderful.

Thank you,

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
Hey Sheila

Sometimes search engines are a little bit crazy:

No watch but I like this

Regards Gerald

Elgin Father Time

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Nice glass Gerald, to bad it's empty.... Big Grin

Sheila, like you, I love the Elgin watch, any Elgin, it does not matter from 7jewel up to the 23 jewel Veritas....

Here is one of my Father Time watches....it is a 1911, grade 373, 21 jewel....It is in a Hunter Case

Good luck in getting your first Father Time....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
The Movement....

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Sheila, The Father Time models were at or near the top of the quality and finish ladder at Elgin. As you saw earlier in this post the Elgin Father Time Logo was even used on objects necessary to "cereberate" the times.

Elgin made three Father Time types in Hunter and Open Face styles, the 18 size Full Plate, the model 8 18 size 3/4 Plate and the 16 size Model 6 3/4 plate movements. These Father Time movements with their high Jewel count were listed for RR use during their entire tenure in the Elgin Line. The Veritas was the only Elgin Pocket watch that was a higher grade excepting some special Father Time variants with extra Trickery added to their already full plate of finery.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
When David mentioned that some Father Time watches had extra "trickery," I think he had in mind watches like my 18 size Father Time free sprung wind indicator.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Movement

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Ethan

Nice watch, I like those free sprung father times.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
What's "free sprung"? Anything to do with that little idler gear next to the crown wheel?

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
posted
It seems unusual that these 21 jewel Elgins have a jeweled mainspring barrel. I have a B. W. Raymond like that.

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Eric

I am not sure how they worked, I do not know if it is like Elgin's Durabalance that was regulated with the counter weights on the balance arms or not, perhaps someone else can explain. As you notice from the photos there is no regulator for the main spring, it was self regulated is my understanding.

They were often used as ship chronometers during WWII & came in boxed sets just like the Hamilton model 22.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

In addition to Tom's response...

Eric, that exposed gear drives the indicator mechanism. All the 18-size Elgin Indicators were modified in this manner, these were not regular production items.

Steve, that is actually a bushing rather than a jewel. Both the 19 and 23-Jewel movements have jeweled barrels but 21-Jewel versions do not.

Beautiful examples, thanks for sharing them with us!

Now, here is Father Time holding his namesake...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I assembled a graphic showing my 19 Jewel wind indicator with a Jeweled motor and a regulator next to Ethan's movement which is "Free Sprung" by virtue of no regulator necessary to adjust time. For reasons only known to Elgin they chose NOT to Jewel the motor for thie extremely rare Free Sprung Wind Indicator Father Time complication!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
If you use the Elgin online serial number lookup and type n=FT you get information on all Father Time labeled watches.

Regards Gerald

grade vs. Father Time label

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
I waited to post on purpose, and BOY! did it pay off.

You guys are fantastic. What wonderful pictures and information!!! Wow!

I never knew half, of what has been listed.

And here I thought I was only trying to decide on a 3/4 plate or a full plate!!! what a joke it is now.

I can see that I need a lot more information in order to choose.

I do lean toward the Full plate though.

Remember, I go for what I LIKE not just the best there is, so keep it coming please.

Tell me why you like the one you own.

A jeweled motor barrell, wow, that was news for sure.

Sheila

posted
Well, that floors me. It had me completely faked out. I thought for sure this was a jeweled barrel.

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
Steve,
That's still a fantastic movement you got there!

Sheila

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Sheila, if you go for what you like, my bet is you will opt out for an 18s, full plate.... Cool

Those have the nicest damaskeened designs of all the Father Times....some as nice as the Veritas....

Regards,
Jerry

posted
Ya know Jerry, I thought so too, but seeing these watches, it sure makes it hard. the ones here are really wonderful.

But..... once I get sruck on one, it usually sticks. Maybe that damaskeening is what attracted me?

I do love nice damaskeening.

Jeweled motor barrells sure show a movement up nice too!

I'm gonna keep looking some more. I want a nice one, so I will take my time. I love the looking as much as the hunt, once I decide.

Sheila