Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Canadian Railway Time Service Walthams "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1110
posted
I have a question about Waltham's C.R.T.S. grades.I've always wondered if they were made for any one particular RR company, such as the Canadian National, or its subsidiaries; or for a watch inspector/jeweler?It's obvious the CPR ones were intended for the Canadian Pacific RR.Seems like Waltham railroad watches were really popular in Canada.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Theodore, Your question actually has several answers,
First, Most US-made Canadian Railroad watches were Waltham and Elgin by choice as they made nice 17-19 Jewel RR accurate timepieces in both Lever and Pendant setting.

Also Waltham had moved their Case Making company to Canada, thus reducing the cost of casing their watches. As Many other RR watches used by Canadian Railroaders were Swiss-made, their choice of Elgin and Waltham (at least in the "early days") was notable.

That said, as far as I know CPR NEVER bought watches directly, and in fact many Canadian RR watches were private labelled by their dealers for service and pride reasons I am sure. However, to honor the Canadian RR watch use Waltham (more than Elgin) did a number of "specially marked" watch runs that were certainly popular with Canadians. A nifty marketing ploy indeed. This model 92 that just came in is a good working example of a "non-specially marked" RR Grade Waltham that was popular with Canadian RR people.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks again, Dave.Nice Crescent St.!

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
HI Everybody, Since we are on the subject I would like add to this post my own personal problem about CRTS's. I have a CRTS S/N 11047489 that in the Waltham S/N record is defined as a "AT&Co". I removed the barrel bridge and found out that underneath there is NO number whatsoever.I followed other CRTS on ebay and found that some S/N's are AT&Co and some are indeed defined as CRTS. Is this because some watches were delivered to the railroad and some were sold on the open market? Except for the missing S/N under the bridge the watch is exactely like all the others I've seen. I would really like to have your opinion on the subject.....Thanks.

Posts: 192 | Location: Vicenza in Italy | Registered: February 04, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Peter, there has been much discussion about obviously re-marked Waltham Barrel Bridges used on movements to faalsly persuade buyers of their therefore inflated value.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Thanks for answering, Dave. Here is a picture of my CRTS, all the parts have the same S/N, except for the barrel bridge that has none. All the other I have seen have the same damascening and to me (correct me if I'm wrong) the barrel bridge looks like a Waltham original. Plus, they seem to be as rare as hen's teeth, if somebody would be falsifying them, wouldn't we see more?

Posts: 192 | Location: Vicenza in Italy | Registered: February 04, 2009