• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Balance poising "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a question about poising a balance wheel. I have put a new staff in the balance wheel and installed it with the balance cock to see if it would spin freely. Everything spins perfectly with no wobble. With nothing on the staff but the wheel it is out of poise. It is heavy on one side. Once the roller table and safety roller are put in place might that correct the problem? The weight of the jewel? From what i have read the roller needs to be in place in order to poise it correctly. Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

Posts: 122 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland in the USA | Registered: February 25, 2011
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Paul yes the roller table or roller table and saftey roller if its a double roller watch need too be in place before you poise the balance.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
Thanks Samie. I have ordered a truing caliper and a poising tool. Will install table and safety roller and see what happend when the tools come in.
Again thanks.....Paul

Posts: 122 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland in the USA | Registered: February 25, 2011
posted
It is usually helpful to place the roller table and guard table back on the staff in the same position it came from with respect to the rim of the wheel. This can make poising the balance go much easier but also comes with the assumption that the balance was poised properly before the staff was broken. Good luck.......
Regards, John

Posts: 299 | Location: Mount Brydges, Ontario, Canada | Registered: November 10, 2005
posted
Thanks John. Waiting for the porper tools to arrive so i can give this a try. Paul