Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

How Many Walthams' Would You Buy? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Brian C.
posted
I found this ad in an Auburndale, Mass. church pamphlet, dated 1898.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Let me at em!!!!!!!!! Big Grin Big Grin

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
That $7 adjusted for inflation would be about $205 today. I suspect you can buy a 7 jewel silver Waltham for about that price right now. Unless you kept them in a sealed box, it would not have been a good investment.Wink

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
I don't think it can be done today, but 25-30 years ago, I was able to buy a number of 7J Walthams and Elgins in coin silver cases for the $10-15 range. With the internet, those days are gone forever.

Tom

posted
Tom,

I'm getting a different number from the inflation calculator. In 2005 dollars it says $155.09. Happily, that supports your assertion that it would not have been such a great investment then.

- Greg

Posts: 254 | Location: Washington State, Northwest USA | Registered: April 21, 2003
Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
Greg, I will need to switch my link to your calculator. Mine did not go back that far, so I extrapolated (with my limited mental capacity). Wink

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
I would think they were refering to new watches that they bought in a bulk buy and being in solid silver cases I suspect them to be 18 size and at least a 16 size which if you put up in a safe untouched would not be that bad of an investment. Just my thoughts Smile

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006