Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

My New Elgin "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
As all of you know I don't know diddly about watches. I don't collect Elgins and to be honest I was just after the case on this one. It is not valuable and I was going to resell the movement. However after receiving the watch I think I have changed my mind.

It is a 1893 Elgin 7 jewel gilt watch. But the thing looks brand new inside and out. Running to beat the band I just need to time it so that it is a little more accurate.

The price guide has it at $50/100/180 and I got it for $66. This is mint or as near mint as you can get for a 118 year old watch. IMHO

Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Member 1610
posted
Rear

IHC Member 1610
posted
Rear again

IHC Member 1610
posted
side

IHC Member 1610
posted
Face

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
That is a beaut, Harry!

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 1610
posted
Movement

IHC Member 1610
posted
Movement again

IHC Member 1610
posted
Side again

IHC Member 1610
posted
Thanks Mark! I don't normally collect 7 jewel movements but this is a keeper.

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
You'll be amazed how good a time keeper these things are when you find them in this condition.

I had one a few years ago that, like an crazy, let get away from me. It looked just like that movement, and kept time right with my 21j railroad watches. GREAT carry watch.

I still kick myself for trading it off, as it was the absolute perfect carry watch.

You did well!

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
It looks to be in very good condition so giving it a nice clean/oil/adjust should put it in tip-top condition. In the old days a 7 jewel watch might not raise many eyebrows but for the non-collector showing them this watch would raise more than a few eyebrows. As Mark said also an excellent wear watch since the case looks like it might be brass.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Member 1508
posted
She sure is pretty Harry! Brad

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you everyone. I was and still am curious about the case. In another post I was asking if anyone new what the case markings meant. I got you responses and this is what Tom and Lindell had to say about the case.

"As Tom explained correctly the second case is a Fahys "America" which taking it a step further was their model name for a "5-Year" Rolled Gold Plate case. RGP is much thinner and prone to wear."

So if this case is only warranted for 5 years it looks like it has about 4 years 11 months and 29 days left on the warranty.

Here is the case marking.