Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Interesting Waltham Project!! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Trying to sort through and seperate what to list next I came across this watch that someone has taken the time to cut out the plates to see the movement work. Interesting!! Eek

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
Here is a picture at a different angle. THe watch runs fine and is in what I call a salesman type case. Smile

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
I bet this one is a little easier to line pivots up when putting top plate back on. Razz

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Rob
that is nice you can for sure see everthing ,
NICE ITEM Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
I wonder if this was done at a watch school or something as a project?

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
posted
Rob,
Do you think this watch may even have been done this way to use as a 'Demo' sales model?
Just a thought.

Best Regards
John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
I have no idea I found it in a box with some other watches and took a second look when I turned it over to look. I thought it was neat and was thinking of keeping it but I probably will let it go, turn that money over so I can continue to buy.

Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
If you list it on eBay be ready to catch some heat over the "mutilated" watch. There are a lot of people who think that watches are people and should be treated with the same level (or higher) of respect. Smile

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Good point Tom maybe I should keep it. I do not need grief especially for something I did not do.

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Hi Robert,
I know a watchmaker that told me he made one of those skeleton watches at watch school in Philadelphia, in 1947 (on his own time). He said they did it to show how much skill they had at cutting away the metal. I've seen many of these and they range from crudly done to very nicely done and are usually in glassback cases.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002