Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What size "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I just bought a Columbus pocket watch.
The serial number on the movement is 250705.
Can some body tell me what size it is and how many jewels it has.
It looks like a size 6 but i am not sure.
It is a stem wind and lever set with an open face.
Another thing i do not understand is when you open up the front bazel the crystal stays on the dial is this normal.

Posts: 13 | Location: Irvington, Kentucky in the USA | Registered: November 24, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Ruben

A photo of the movement would help to identify the size.

I am not sure what you mean about the crystal, is it a hunter case? That is the type with the metal cover over the dial & you press the stem to open the cover? If it is then yes, once you open the outer cover the crystal is installed in a bezel which protects the dial.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Hello Tom.
I will try to get pictures of the movement an post them.
As for the watch it is not a hunter case as i know a hunter case.
The front bazel has a hinge on it though.
But when you push the button on top the bazel opens but the crystal stay's on the dial like it hase two bazels.
I will try to take the pictures tomorrow and post then. The camera i have is not one of the best though.
Once again thanks Ruben

Posts: 13 | Location: Irvington, Kentucky in the USA | Registered: November 24, 2008
posted
Hello Tom.
Here are the photos.

posted
Here is a photo of the front.

posted
And one of the watch it's self

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Ruben

It looks like a Model 1 & I think it is probably an 11 jewel, they made this model in both a size 6 & a size four. If you measure the diameter of the dial a 6 size should be about 35mm & a 4 about 32-33mm.

It is a hunter movement (winds at 3:00) & lever set.

I see what you mean about the case, I am not familar with that type, but you can see that the crystal does have a bezel around it.

I think that is about all I can tell you, other members may sound off with more.

I like the watch by the way.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
Ruben, that case is what is called a "cut hunter", meaning the front cover of the original hunter style case has been cut out at some point in time making it a sidewinder open face conversion.Looks like a loop was also added, probably at the same time...

Posts: 352 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
The complete Price guide to Watches, 2008 edition has a guide on page 34 to determine the size of watches. If you don't have this book you purchase it at the IHC 185 Store and also get one when you pay your dues.

I have a Columbus Size 6 watch with serial number 249807. Our numbers are not very far away.

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Here is the dial with Cut Hunter bezel.

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
The back of Sterling Silver Case:

posted
Thank you Tom, Harold & Ernie.
I know now what size it is and about how mny jewels it has.
Ernie my watch looks just like yours except mine is gold color {no marks}.
I payed $75.00 dollars for it i do not no if it was a good deal or not but i liked the watch so i bought it.
Once again thanks guys. Ruben