Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help me identify this Henri Roulet "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
A friend called me to find out what his workers found in a house they were tearing down.
It's marked Henri Roulet Locle. I'm thinking a mid grade swiss 15J??
I wound it and it runs fairly well. Needs cleaning.
Here's some pictures for your consideration. Any opinions, especially of the case would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Hunter Case -

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Dial

Dave Turner

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Makers mark - Hard to see, but it's a standing lion in a rectangle with cut corners.

Gold content?

Dave Turner

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Inside cover

Dave Turner

IHC Member 1736
posted
What is the purpose of the lever at the base of the regulator arm?

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Good question. When you find out, let me know.

Dave Turner

IHC Member 1736
posted
Inline steel escapement, Bruegette overcoil hair spring with two pin regulator, fully jeweled to 15j... Uncompensated balance wheel, no indication any of the balance weights qualify as timing screws. Most likely a balanced pallet fork.

I'm going to wager a guess the lever on the balance cock at the base of the regulator arm is a friction brake to lock the regulator in position.

Locle = watch making hamlet in France

Lion is a British silver mark

Mid grade, excellent condition, made for export to England or the US around 1880

Some speculation that Henri Roulet may be tied to a watch maker named Fritz...

Any corrections or additional comments are welcome... I'm pretty new at this forensic stuff.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Paul,
You're doing a pretty good job so far.
Question about the hallmark. I found that info too, but this is not a silver case?
I'm thinking the case is probably worth more than the watch.

Dave Turner

posted
Hi, I'm pretty sure that the lion is a silver hallmark, is it possible that the case is gold plated as I've come across many items which appeared gold at first glance, but were hallmarked silver and turned out to be gold plated silver (AKA silver gilt), it was not an uncommon practice in the 19th and 20th century in England for boxes and other silver items, so I can't see why it wouldn't be considered with a watch case.

Posts: 78 | Location: Nottingham in the United Kingdom | Registered: March 30, 2013
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks Joe,
Makes sense to me, so then, what would you consider the value?

Dave Turner

posted
Regarding the makers mark, C&B may well be Cocks & Bettridge - silver and goldsmiths - who were registered in Birmingham, UK from 1793 onwards.
Unfortunately I can't find any history on them but the latest date I have found for any of their products is 1816.

If you look at the makers mark in this link http://www.silfren.com/Boxes/boxitems11/M4758.htm you'll be able to compare the two.

Regards

David

Posts: 72 | Location: Clacton On Sea, Essex, in the United Kingdom | Registered: March 15, 2014
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks David,
Appreciate the help.

Dave Turner

posted
Check with Gerald in Germany. Value and location.

Posts: 96 | Location: Waynesville, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: April 14, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks Sam,

I sent him an email.

Dave Turner

posted
Hi Dave

Me again Smile

What to say ? A swiss made watch of mediocre quality from the late 1860s cased in a crisp and fine british watchcase.
The case is marked for sterling silver but not assayed (no town mark, no date letter), curious if the case was engraved with the Roulet , Locle writing in Switzerland and then exported to the States ? Gilded cases in this state of conservation ar not so often found, if used they normaly wear down to the pure silver.
Henri Roulet is not known as watchmaker so I think he was the trader/exporter.
The type and style of movement was common and origined in the Locle area of Switzerland. I can't make out a specific maker (movement designs in Switzerland at those times were treated as kind of creative commons which makes it sometimes impossible to find a certain maker).
Has anyone an idea about A. J. Griffin, Greenville N.C. ?

For the value of this watch I can only assume the value if a swiss kw/ks watch in a crisp silver case (no data for this gilded variant) and would think it is in the $150-$200 range.

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thank you Gerald,
I think that pretty well covers it all. I'm sure the owner will be glad to hear this.

All I can say about Griffin in Greenville is that it is close to where the watch was found. Probably a local watch shop no longer open.

Dave Turner

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Is that a re-sizing fitment ring around the movement?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
David

From the picture I would say yes.

Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
To tell the truth I never noticed it, but after you mentioned it I did take a close look and would have to agree that it is.
I haven't removed it from the case.

Dave Turner