Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Silver or Gold "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
I did not find the answer I was looking for when I searched this. Maybe someone can shove me in the right direction.

I have two Hamilton 927's. One 927 has copper colored script on the movement and on has gold script.

Did they come with both silverode and Gold Plated cases and if so did it matter which movement (copper script or gold script) when in which case?

I like the Silverode cases for these big movements but I only have gold plated for the 927. I can put the gold script 926 in either a silverode case or a gold platted case.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
That is all up to the owner/holder to choose which case he/she likes as it was when the watch was brand spanking new Wink

Some like/liked silver, others gold colored etc. etc. It wasn't the norm to case watches at the factory till the late '20's and even then the color of the case was most often left up to the particular buyer as to white/yellow/green gold filled or solid gold. They gave you a choice in most styles of cases as to individual color preference as no two people have the same likes/dislikes. That's marketing....

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
As the 927 was a Hunter movement it was likely sold in a Hunter Case that was solid gold or Gold Filled.

When/If it was put in a Open Face Case by the original owner, that case could be either silveroid (often done during the depression when they sold the gold for survival finds) or gold filled if they grew tired of a Hunter case.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1610
posted
I want to thank both of you once again. I'm glad to know that I can put them in whatever case I choose and it will be correct as long as the case is not older than the watch. That should not be a problem since one is an 1899 and one is a 1901. They both have incorrect dials and are in bad shape so I need to replace them anyway. I have one Hamilton Watch Co. old script and I can get another one but he wants $75 for it. I'm sure it is worth is but I don't know if I'm ready to pay that much for a dial.

Thanks again,
Harry

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
When one is talking "perfect" in a Hamilton dial in 16 or 18sz expect to pay $75 for a single sunk dial and $125 for a double sunk dial. If it has a slight hairline or two expect to only pay 1/2 of those figures. If it has a chip out of the dial or "crow foot" type hairlines expect to pay $10-30 max.

If it is a "variant" of a rarer dial, then forget those figures and pay what one can afford. Just always buy the very best you can afford since condition will pay dividends when the item is marketed. As an example, a perfect Illinois 16sz variant DSD dial that is fully marked "Illinois,23J.,Bunn Special,60Hour,Adj.6 Positions" have sold for $3500 for the dial alone.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1610
posted
Eek $3500 Wow. Man I don't even want to play with those guys. I guess I will get the dial. It is single sunk and I assume the 924, 925, 926 and 927 all came with single sunk or double sunk depending on what the customer wanted.

It looks like to me that before the 1920's the customer basically told the jeweler what he wanted.

Would that be a fair assumption?

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The buyer had two options;
1. Buy it Now! (What was in the showcase)
2. Order one the way you want. (and wait)

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Dave very much for sharing that information. Since I have the parts I will put the hunters in gold plated cases (except I do have a very nice silver and gold hunter case I will maybe put my 941 in. The others get silverode.