Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Close-up viewing, what works the best "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi All,
I have a visor with a variety of 4 different lenses and an attached light. This works fine until you get to the real fine screws & small parts. I was wondering what's out there to use without getting too expensive.
Don

Posts: 169 | Location: Adrian, Michigan in the USA | Registered: June 09, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Don, what kind of camera are you using?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Might this work better in the photography section?

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...s/a/frm/f/7356029761

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
I THINK Donald means visor for working on WATCHES.

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Don,

As you say the visors don’t work to well at all, I use a double loupe 4x & 7x the type that clip on the side of your spectacle frame with a little practice being a single lens you will be able to work on any size watch, if you don’t wear glasses buy a cheap pair and remove the lens. Your working distance will be about 5” and 1” on 11x take time to get use to being so close and using tools. I have just had a special set of glasses made that are full line bifocal ¾ + up on lower bi focal for focusing 10” (plus loupes) and the upper slither to peak over the top for computer distance. I also have a variable power 7-90x microscope for machining and inspections. Buy the best “glass” lens loupe you can find, the plastic are useless to much distortion I bought a set for backup and threw them in the trash, B&L make reasonable one but now made in China like everything else.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
I use the clip on loupe like Chris, but I don't normally wear glasses. I bought a cheap 1.5+ set of reading glasses to clip them on. That increased the power of the loupe a little.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I attached a glass lensed double Loupe to Costco Reading Glasses. A genuine eBay "Antique", note the wire tie to keep it from falling off. BEWARE WHEN USING YOU HAVE NO DEPTH PERCEPTION! Practice and learn how to use your tools for manually Touch-probing "depth" to an adjacent surface before touching actual micro-sized watch parts.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Thanks for the helpful information everyone. Looks like I need to find a decent quality glass loupe or maybe two of different size power.
Don

Posts: 169 | Location: Adrian, Michigan in the USA | Registered: June 09, 2011
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
quote:
I THINK Donald means visor for working on WATCHES.

Regards,
Larry

Thanks Larry. Dave's question threw me there. Big Grin

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002