Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Pan American "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
I won this watch on ebay. An 18 size Pan American-no serial number. The seller said this movement was a Seth Thomas. Eric or anyone-what can you tell me about this movement.

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Dial fronting Pan American movement

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Sears Roebuck case. My research suggest that this case was made by the Philadelphia Watch Case Co. for Sears.

posted
Definitely a Seth, Tony. Nice pick. Smile

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008

posted
Tony -

Neat script on the dial...

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
There have been quite a few of the Century movements surface recently, why is that I wonder....or have they been there all along and we are just having more posted than ususal....

There have been some nice ones, such as this one and I agree with Jon, neat looking dial....

Nice find, Tony....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This is a rare Seth Thomas, not mentioned in the Price Guide, but valued in Ehrhardt Meggars at about the same level as the Eagle series. Keep it as a good investment.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Tom yours looks like my Century and no S/N
how nice Eek

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
I've always assumed the Pan-Am thing was to comemmorate the Expo here in town where President McKinley was assassinated.

It's listed in Ehrhardt Volume 1:

(The letters mean Hunter movement, Nickel plates, model 11, Lever-set, and Unadjusted.)

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Here's another old Seth Thomas Pan American.
Thanks to Gary Cochran, she now sports a new bow! I've still got a ways to go. Needs a balance staff, a couple of hands, a new mainspring most likely and a couple of case screws.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
And here's the movement along with a Century.

I Like these old Seths.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
Nice picks, Dave. The marked dials are worth way more than the movements themselves.

See page 8 on the Seth Thomas section for a little more on the subject.

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
I love that "starfish" case. Is there a movement number under the dial?

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks Guys,

Eric, I've already studied that page, thanks.

Ed, I failed to look for a number on the movement when I tore it down, but I will look.
I like that old case too. It's simply marked "President" with a number below it.

Dave Turner

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Ed,
I found the number 135 under the dial and the underside of the bridge plate.
But, I find no references anywhere to a grade 135?

Dave Turner

posted
It's unusual for any of the Models 10 thru 13 to have serial numbers.

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Eric,
I'm getting lost here. I'm sure the 135 isn't a serial number. But I'm not sure what that number represents?

Also wondering what staff it requires and if anybody has one.

Dave Turner