• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Sometimes I get bored at night... "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
And find nothing better to do than use AutoCAD to draw things. I like to believe it also helps me with work as I use AutoCAD a lot so it helps keep my skills up. I've worked on this one for a couple nights. I still need to add an escapement and also teeth to the winding gears. Shaping up nicely though. Let me know your thoughts or changes!

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Good going Jared. In my career as a mechanical engineer, I worked with Computervision CADDS 4x systems for quite a few years in designing gas turbine engines.

The CAD technology really lends itself to something like a pocket watch. I look forward to seeing more of your renderings! Big Grin

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Very nice Jared. Maybe you could come up with some new damaskeening! Cool
I miss having CADD. I used it in my position as a tax map technician before I retired.
I do not know how many times I have wished I had it on my home computer to do drawings of my wood working projects. But it is way to expensive to ever think about getting it for myself.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
posted
A lot of us with similar backgrounds, I'm a mechanical/industrial engineer and Engineering professor for over 40 years. But my CAD skills are pretty low... when you have grad students working for you they get to have all the fun.

Gary

Posts: 586 | Location: Bastrop, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2011
IHC Member 1369
posted
That's really neat, Jared. I know nothing about working with CAD but I see a potential here...

I wonder how many of us would like to have a personalized watch?

OK, just a drawing, but it strikes me if the movement details could be personalized, ie - 'Ralph Hopper Watch Co' and the diagram could be mailed easily, I'd love to have a copy like that - and yes, I'd pay for it.

Is this possible, Jared, or is this asking a bit much of your time? Like I said, I have no idea how this can be printed, on what kind of paper stock, what size and so on so this may not be possible at all.

Just a thought,
Ralph

Posts: 542 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: February 10, 2010
posted
Ralph-

It doesn't take any time at all. I'm not sure what kind of paper, but since I can save it to print quality pdfs, it could be printed at any print shop on whatever kind of paper wanted.

Jared

IHC Member 1369
posted
That's really great, Jared. Love it! Possible to send me a pdf?

Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Jared, I agree, very nice. May I suggest personalized dials to go with your creations.

Gary

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
Gary/Ralph-

I'll work on that tonight and post some pictures. Ralph, I'll send a pdf of it with the dial too.

Jared

posted
Ralph-

Whats your middle initial?

Jared

IHC Member 1369
posted
L

posted
Ralph-

How about this? I added the 24 hour since you're in canada Big Grin

posted
Here's the back of the movement in the case too. Big Grin

IHC Member 1369
posted
Jared, that is amazing!!!

posted
Ralph-

I sent them to your email. If anyone else would like one done for them, just let me know.

Jared

posted
How about a diamond center jewel?

Waltham watches are dowdy compared to Hamilton, Illinois, etc but that's one thing that's one thing about AWWC watches that is above average.

Posts: 148 | Location: Seattle, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Jared can you do one for me with Peter K. Watch Co. on movement and Peter K. Watch Co. on dial
with bold # please.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011

posted
Nice Work - Jared...

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
How about a Dial and Movement inscribed with IHC185?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Jared, did you complete the movement to include the teeth on the motor wheels....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Jared:

Could make me a Canadian one with Larry S. Buchan

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002