WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

An 1800's Aluminum/'Silver case! Is this for real? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I just got this very nice and (I think) untouched for at least 100 years old 1881 vintage KWKS watch which is in the cleaning process now, and this is the case "as received". It weighs just under three ounces!

Is the reference to "Aluminum" that is stamped into both covers for real?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
In the 1800's before modern aluminum refining methods were invented, aluminum was regarded as a semi-precious metal.

I would regard "ALUMINUM SILVER" on a par with "ORE SILVER" or "ALASKA SILVER" when stamped on a case. Just another trade name for base metal.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Ed, I must agree with you, and only can say that this has a more "grey" cast. The Brasso (I usually use for Silveroids) did nothing for it. So I used the stuff I use on my Harley's un-plated Aluminum cases called "Aluminum Doctor" which gave me this! . . . Oh, btw, the movement that came in it and still lives in it seems to be a NOS 1881 Hampden 15J "Woolworth" which when I was finished cleaning looked "factory new"!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007