Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

When were Base Metal Cases first used? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Does anyone know about when base metal cases started being used on pocket watches? I have a 1908 Hamilton 992 s/n 728034 that has been re-cased into a base metal case. I can see the other brand mounting position on the case. The 992 was cased by the jeweler in 1908 as far as I know. Did they have base metal cases then? The case is very worn would it be appropriate to put a 1908 back into a very nice base metal case?

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks for asking this one Harry, I don't have the answer, but have been wondering the same thing myself.Seems like silveroid disappeared about the same time base metal came out.Most of the base metal cases I've seen are short-stem, which would make them early to mid 1920's, but I have an 18s Illinois Spartan base metal case that has the older style french bow and medium length stem, looks like it could be older.Railroad watches like your earlier 992 were recased often, so putting it in a nice newer case wouldn't be that bad.Take care, Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Ted. I was just curious if anyone new. I'm like you I was kind of thinking the 20's but maybe some can tell us for sure.

Thanks for the help on the base metal case. That is what I got it in and I have gold cases but I kinda wanted to put it in a base metal case.

IHC Member 1016
posted
I have always considered "Silveroid" as "Base Metal". Maybe the Government made them stop impling that it was containing any silver. Like they made the manufacturers mark gold filled/plated cases differently at one point to clarify what they actually were. I have no actual information to support this.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1610
posted
Mike you may be right I don't know. I know the silveroid/nickel/nickeloid type cases have a different look and feel to them than the base metal cases that are marked base metal (at least the ones I have). The silveroid cases are usually pretty plain but some have a train or something engraved on the back. They usually have simple oval or round bows also.

The base metal cases tend to have brass or some yellowesh metal leak through the back on well worn base metal cases. The base metal cases usually are highly decorated and have fancy bows. I feel that the outer layer of the base metal cases may be made out of the same silveroid/nickel metal as the old silveroid cases.