Internet Horology Club 185
Columbus Dial

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1086047761/m/8101087702

September 12, 2006, 20:37
Peter S. Balkan
Columbus Dial
I just won this auction on eBay.

I realize that the dial has a chip at the center-hole (and the hands are partially hiding it).

We know the value of some dials because they are listed in catalogs or because our members are actively seeking them. But with others, I find myself "at sea" and usually make my decision based upon a visualization of how the dial would look in a completed watch.

I thought this dial was very nice and I do know that Columbus dials are quite scarce.

Does anyone have any idea what period of movement would be "proper" for it? Any comments?
September 12, 2006, 21:46
Lindell V. Riddle

Nice dial Peter,

You also have the hands which can be hard to come by.

There may be other opinions but my feeling is the dial and hands you found are from the latter side of the 1890s time frame. Remember also that Columbus dials will interchange for both Hunter and Open Face movements.

Lindell

September 13, 2006, 02:29
Frank Kusumoto
Pretty much agree with Lindell. The type-face is from the later time period. Very sweet dial!
September 13, 2006, 10:28
Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
Yes Frank, very sweet indeed! IMHO one of the coolest Canadian-style 24-hour dials ever. Cool

Peter, congrats on scoring an excellent "steal." Big Grin

Best Regards,

Ed
September 13, 2006, 11:33
Peter S. Balkan
I still have no idea what it's "worth," Ed!

I guess sometimes you gotta go with your heart! Smile
September 13, 2006, 11:41
Tony Dukes
Peter,
I have that same dial in my collection and yes it is one of my favorities. Smile